10" Skywatcher Revelation Dobsonian.

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

10" Skywatcher Revelation Dobsonian.

Postby sonia » Fri Jan 27, 2006 4:30 pm

I am currently using the meade etx 90 EC GOTO and the celestron 675 powerseeker, but want to go for something more bigger so Will be getting the 10" skywatcher Revelation Dobsonian next weekend to come, have asked for quite a few for opinions on what they think to this, and just to make sure this is what i am deffinetely going for, anyones else got opinions on how good this telescope is? It comes with two eyepieces 25mm and 10mm. But will also be using my other eyepieces for this from my meade and celestron
sonia

RE: 10" Skywatcher Revelation Dobsonian.

Postby gammalog » Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Sonia

I don't know how good or bad the Skywatcher Revelation Dob is, but in terms of light gathering power per £ spent, the Dob is an excellent choice.

You won't of course have the auto-technology of your ETX-90, which means you will have to 'star-hop' to locate your target and of course manually move the scope to keep the object in view. However, you will certainly notice the difference in what you can see with a 10" Dob as compared to what you currently see with your ETX-90.

Look out for "Skywatcher" on this forum, he has a lot of skywatcher equipment in his observatory, and I'm sure he will be in a strong position to give you advice on Skywatcher scopes.

Hope this helps.
gammalog

Postby Chanctonbury » Fri Jan 27, 2006 10:36 pm

Sonia, to the best of my knowledge, the Revelation Dobsonian is not a Skywatcher product. That said, it may be made by Synta in China but I don't know that that is the case.

Looking at the specification of the Revelation though, it does have some features that make it stand out from the crowd - in particular, the Crayford style focusser. I have a Skywatcher 10" Reflector and I am very impressed with it although I do feel that the rack and pinion focus unit does not quite match the rest of the product for quality although it is a common unit in the majority of the Reflectors.

You will see a very worthwhile increase in what you can see with this 'scope in comparison with your existing unit and the views will be breathtaking! Carefully consider the loss of the automation that you are used to but from an optical point of view you will struggle to get better value for money.
Chanctonbury

Postby sonia » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:30 pm

[url=http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=13]http://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/detail.php?id=13[/url]

You will see it says skyliner, but on the dobsonian skywatcher. I cant wait until i get this!
sonia

Postby gammalog » Sat Jan 28, 2006 1:20 pm

Looks good Sonia.

You might find that adding a 'Red Dot Finder' will be very useful for initial alignment on the target area. Then use the 'Finder Scope' for fine alignment.

Good luck with the new scope and hope you get hours of pleasure from it.

gammalog

Postby Chanctonbury » Sat Jan 28, 2006 4:56 pm

Sonia,

The Skyliner is indeed a Skywatcher product whereas the Revelation has been specially produced for Telescope House. The main difference would appear to be the Focusser which is a Crayford type on the Revelation (very desirable) and although they both have the same 1200mm focal length giving an F5 aperture they have slightly different glass in their mirror construction.

Either would make a great telescope that I am sure you will be pleased with.

Let us know how you get on with it - I share your excitement!
Chanctonbury

Postby les » Sat Jan 28, 2006 6:53 pm

[:)]HI Sonia,
I dont think you can go wrong with either the Skywatcher or Revelation,I have experience and am delighted with both.However the Revelation has the Crayford focuser and cooling fan in it's favour. The Revelation 2" eyepiece is not to my liking as it has blurred periphery images.(the last thing you want when searching for planetary nebula).So I use my Skywatcher 1.25 eyepieces.
Regards Les
les

Postby sonia » Sat Jan 28, 2006 7:43 pm

I have...
26mm super plossl
H12
SR4
3X Barlow lens

And the 25mm and 10mm to come with the dobsonian, so a few eyepieces to play with.
sonia

Postby tigger » Sat Feb 04, 2006 12:50 pm

Hi Sonia

Did you get your 10" Dob, Skywatcher or Revalation. And are you pleased with the product? I use a 6" GOTO reflector from Meade, and also have the 12" Revalation Dob, the views are superb and with the excellent Crayford focusser, the Revalation is a nice scope to own, very well balanced on its stand and glides with ease. Value for money you can't go wrong with Dobs. But like they say you need to learn a bit of sar hopping, something I am still getting to grips with.
Have fun, and clear nights!!
tigger

Postby stappie0304 » Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:20 pm

hi
they are both equally good scopes. although both would serve better with a good range of 2" EP's the group test winner from moonfish is a quality eyepiece.and only £59. www.moonfishgroup.com
ray
stappie0304

Return to General