10x50's

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

10x50's

Postby fadman » Sat Apr 22, 2006 12:56 am

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this, but hopefully a kind soul will take pity and answer it LOL.
I've just purchased some porro type 10x50 binoculars ( tight pocket!! [8D] ), and as yet have been unable to train them on anything but clouds!! I was wondering what sort of things I should be able to see through them, obviously I'm not looking for Neil's footprints. What type of objects are best suited, and will I just see coloured dots? LOL. If it helps, I am viewing from the UK.
Thanks in advance.
fadman

RE: 10x50's

Postby sftonkin » Sat Apr 22, 2006 8:10 am

Literally hundreds of things become visible to you. A few people have even managed to observe all the Messier objects with 10×50 binoculars.

The larger open clusters are probably the easiest binocular objects -- the Pleiades are still available in the early evening, and M35, 36, 37, 38, 44, 67, and NGC 2264 are quite nicely placed after twilight (you will soon learn that stuff near the zenith, in fact anything above about 60º, is a pain -- sometimes literally -- to observe with binoculars until you get some sort of observing couch/chair). In the north you have the Perseus Double Cluster.

If you want to try galaxies, you've got the Leo ones nicely placed (don't expect more than small smudges, though) and much easier to sort out than the Virgo-Coma cluster, but you should be able to see several of those as well, if you have a good sky.

Two of the easiest globulars, M13 & 92 rise in early evening, and you've got M53 (easy to find) and M3 (less so, but obvious once you have it) just east of the Coma galaxies. M5 is available later in the evening.

If you've got good skies (you [b]will[/b] need them for these) and fancy a challenge, there's some stuff around UMa that's worth looking for as they are almost overhead (use a recliner or a mattress or similar), but do not expect any to be easy at first -- try again next year and you will be surprised how much easier some of the stuff that is now tricky has become. M51 ie easy to locate, but less easy to see. M81 and 82 are less easy to locate (I follow the diagonal of the "bowl" of the saucepan asterism), but slightly easier to see. For a real challenge, try M101. You need pristine dark skies and averted vision to see it in 10×50, but it (like M33, which is very badly placed at the moment) is easier in 10×50 than in most small telescopes!

Another object that is often easier in small binoculars is NGC 7000, but you shuld wait a few months when it will be better placed. Another nebula, M42, is still just possible in the evening, but is getting a tad close to obkliterating evening twilight -- you'll enjoy it much more in early winter!

That should be enough to be getting on with. Remember you need patience, perseverance and averted vision for a lot of stuff. You will also benefit from mounting the bins -- they should have a tripod bush for this, but an inverted broom will do in emergency. It also helps to hold them properly; I've got some stuff on this [url=http://www.astunit.com/tonkinsastro/binoculars/binoculars.htm]here[/url].

Welcome to the wonderful world of binocular astronomy!
sftonkin

Postby mrkrigdon » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:00 pm

Hi thaddius' i started astronomy 25 yrs ago hell don't time fly.Anway i started off with a pair of 10x50 binoculars when the time i looked up at the moon.With a 10x50 binoculars they are light and they give a wide field of view.Through a pair of binoculars i have found loads of clusters and galaxies.A good book when using binoculars is {exploring the night sky by patrick moore}.It is a good and useful book to help you.Good luck mark rigdon[;)]
mrkrigdon

Postby clipperride » Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:03 pm

I spent several years using 10x50's. I still think it's a great place to start as you learn your way around the night sky. As mentioned above there are lots of things to see.

I did find it took some practice to locate what I was looking for through the eyepiece. Stick at it though and try looking for a bright star or planet, fix your gaze at it and bring the binos up to your eyes.

Also, when the moon is up, use it to check your focus.

Hope this helps

clipperride

Postby kaseshar » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:16 pm

[quote]M81 and 82 are less easy to locate (I follow the diagonal of the "bowl" of the saucepan asterism), [/quote]

I've tried looking for these for weeks now with my new 10x50's, without any look. I was desperate to bag my first galaxy and thought these would be the easiest to find using the very same guide.

They have been right over head and trying to find them is a pain as you say without a chair or something.

I have still not found them though. I'd put this down mostly to not knowing how far to extend the diagonal across the bowl of UMa? Is averted vision needed for these? As I also have fairly light polluted skies do I even stand a chance of seeing these?

Cheers for any advice.

Andy
kaseshar

Postby sftonkin » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:16 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Urmstonian101

[quote]M81 and 82 are less easy to locate (I follow the diagonal of the "bowl" of the saucepan asterism), [/quote]I'd put this down mostly to not knowing how far to extend the diagonal across the bowl of UMa?[/quote]A distance about equal to the length of the diagonal.

[quote] Is averted vision needed for these?[/quote]No, but it may help.

[quote] As I also have fairly light polluted skies do I even stand a chance of seeing these?[/quote]Unlikely with 10×50 -- as I said at the beginning of the relevant paragraph:
"[color=red]If you've got good skies (you [b]will[/b] need them for these) and fancy a challenge[/color]"
sftonkin

Postby albireo380 » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:30 pm

Try for M44 beehive, it comes out nice in 10X50's.

MoJo
albireo380

Return to Equipment Advice