1st April: MoonWatch: Maidenhead Braywick Nature Centre

1st April: MoonWatch: Maidenhead Braywick Nature Centre

Postby mba007 » Fri Mar 13, 2009 6:03 pm

Poster link: http://www.maidenhead-astro.net/MAS_MoonWatch_v2.jpg

Maidenhead Astronomical Society presents ‘MoonWatch’, with two illustrated talks on the Moon (What you can see, and the Moon Landings), and the opportunity to observe the Moon and Saturn through telescopes. The Moon will be just over 6 days old with long shadows bringing out the incredible details of craters, ridges and Mare (lunar seas). Saturn's rings are almost edge on which offers a fascinating view of the most photogenic planet in our Solar System. Meet at Braywick Nature Centre. No need to book. Refreshments and raffle. Suitable for all ages - children must be accompanied by an adult.

*updated poster link*
mba007

RE: 1st April: MoonWatch: Maidenhead Braywick Nature Centre

Postby pulsar » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:06 am

Good luck with your event. I wish you all clear skies.[:D]
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Postby kingman » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:50 pm

The Moon will be just over 6 days old with long shadows bringing out the incredible details of craters, ridges and Mare (lunar seas).
kingman

Postby mba007 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:36 am

Thanks, Pulsar. The weather is looking unpredictable at the moment, especially as the BBC news forecast on the TV is different to the BBC news forecast online ???

I should point out that our entry in the Daily Mail's IYA2009 article puts the location as 'Braywatch' Nature Centre, and the Sky at Night magazine puts us at Baywick Nature Centre. I fear that some subliminality (not a real word) is afoot. Is 'Braywick' too close to 'Baywatch'?
mba007

Postby brianb » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 am

[quote]especially as the BBC news forecast on the TV is different to the BBC news forecast online ??? [/quote]
Usually because the TV / radio broadcast is "shortened" because of time slot constraints, also the regional boundaries may not correspond with your weather - I find the TV / radio forecasts more accurate if I listen for "western Scotland" rather than "Northern Ireland".

But the BBC forecasts are all derived from the Met Office ... use the Met Office web site & get the information first hand, they have good "historical" radar & satellite animations too so you can see what's heading your way.

brianb

Postby mba007 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:36 pm

Quick update. It's going to be clear tonight, which is great. Our event has been listed in the national press at least three times (to my knowledge) resulting in a significant number of enquiries.

Everybody is welcome to come along and look through the scopes. Access to the talk itself is ticketed and free, and is on a first-come-first-served basis.

This is going to be an experience both for the public and for our astronomical society [:)][:)][:)]
mba007

Postby pulsar » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:33 pm

Go for it
pulsar

Postby mba007 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:23 am

I've just got back and it was really satisfying. A couple of dozen of people found out about our event through the unsolicited but welcome mention in the Daily Telegraph. At least one person arrived having seen us in the Sky at Night magazine. But no-one admitted to seeing us in the Daily Mail [:D]

Total public attendees was 61 which is double the normal attendance (when numbers are normally bolstered by society members). We had to run the talks twice, and we had about 8 scopes set up. The weather was beautifully clear. I couldn't have chosen a better day when I picked it 6 months ago! We more than broke event through refreshments, raffle and a pretty piggybank for donations, despite running it as a free event. Best of all we've got at least 5 new members.

All in all, a good night. The only bad point was the beer section in the local petrol station was shuttered off by the time I got there.

mba007

Postby pulsar » Thu Apr 02, 2009 2:13 am

Well done I am really glad your event went well. Shame about the beer you could have had one for me.[:D][:D]
pulsar

Return to Past events