2015 John Lewis Christmas advert scope

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

2015 John Lewis Christmas advert scope

Postby Bertiebones » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:28 am

Hi all,

Newbie here :) I realise this may be a bit of a random post/thread, but do any of you know what telescope was the one used in the John Lewis Christmas advert last year?

While I realise that it was no Hubble and therefore in reality couldn't zoom in on the house of the man on the Moon, let alone the man himself ;), the curious side of me is wondering what scope (obviously through the power of moving advertising) sold out so rapidly (from what i remember).

Not a serious thread, but perhaps a festive one :D And on that note, how many of you have had astronomical experience thanks to Christmas? And what equipment was it (telescope, binoculars etc)?

Do forgive if you deem this a little silly, but perhaps the combination of festive spirit and the fact I'm starting out in this hobby at Christmas (by buying my other half a scope ;) ) has me wondering!

Many thanks in advance for any input. And a Merry Christmas to you all!

Jake.
Bertiebones

Re: 2015 John Lewis Christmas advert scope

Postby Aratus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:07 pm

I hadn't seen this advert before but it is on youtube. A refractor with an altazimuth mount on a good tripod. It had a 'red dot' finder. The focus wheels have a distinctive rubber grip. Occasionally you can see an orange coloured 'something' holding the telescope to the tripod.
The best fit would be a Celestron Astromaster 70AZ. The only thing that is not right is that the star diagonal has been removed so the little girl is looking straight through the axis of the telescope. A bit of artistic licence, unless there is a version without the star diagonal!

You are correct in thinking that seeing a house on the moon is a little beyond the capabilities of that telescope! It is a good starter telescope though.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Bertiebones » Mon Dec 12, 2016 1:25 pm

My reply has disappeared, hopefully this one will show!
:)
Thank you for your reply! Am I correct in thinking that overall the mount was better than the scope, albeit altogether good money?

I remember wondering about that scope last year (forgive not posting a youtube link but I haven't enough posts under my belt to do that) and thinking about the power of advertising. Unless proven otherwise, I am still not convinced that it was the best value for the money. But a moving advert does wonders, I guess.

Anyhow, Aratus, you answered half of my question :) Have you got any Christmas related first time experince with astronomy? Buying a scope (as you can recall from my other thread) for Christmas, has me wondering what the first experiences are. Was it a scope or say a TV programme, for example.

Many thanks :)

Jake.
Bertiebones

Postby Aratus » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:20 pm

The tripod and mount is pretty basic, but it is a good quality constuction and very easy to lock and move from object to object. It could easily be upgraded later to a better equatorial mount using the doverail fitting but that requires more setting up. The telescope is a 70mm refractor which is no mean size for a beginner's telescope. It uses standard 1.25" eyepieces. This telescope retails for about £70 which is pretty good value.

(You can get the bigger 90AZ. I don't think the one in the advert was a 90AZ since the tube doesn't seem wide enough, but I might be wrong on that.)

It doesn't specifically mention the telescope in the advert, and you can't see the make, so I don't think they can be accused of product placement. The 'claims' of its abilities might have fallen foul of advertising law if they had! It might have increased telescope sales generally though, but I don't know.

I was wondering about the make and model of the hand telescope that the 'man in the moon' was using, but that might be a little more difficult to work out!

I'll come back to you later with a story of Christmas telescopes past. I have to deal with 'Christmas present', at the moment!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby voyager » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:50 am

I'll give you a Christmas story! On one crisp Christmas morning in 1984, I excitedly took my new telescope out into a nearby field to test it out. The false colour and distortions were so bad that I point-blank refused to let a passing family look through it when they asked nicely - I was just so embarrassed by it! And that was the first and last time I ever used a telescope. It would be 18 years before an interest in astronomy was sparked within me...

Merry Saturnalia!

Louise.
voyager

Postby Aratus » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:17 pm

My first telescope was a Christmas present 45 years ago. It was a TASCO 4VTE 'Asteroid' which was a 40mm refractor. I'm pleased to say that this was an extremely well made telescope with excellent optics. On Christmas Day it was cloudy, and for the next 2 nights! I got into practice by looking at everyone's Christmas lights down the street! On 28th December 1971, before it got dark, I was able to observe the gibbous moon. I dutifully filled out the log sheet at the back of the manual identifying various craters from the Rand-McNally moon map that came with the telescope.
I knew from the beginning that this was a small telescope, but it got a lot of use for the next 10 years.

It still gets used occasionally, although most of the time it now lives in the corner of the living room.

I would have loved a 70AZ, as seen in that advert, but that would have been way beyond my parent's means.
Aratus

Return to General