A couple more moon shots

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

A couple more moon shots

Postby andrewscomputers » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:27 pm

Hi all I took these shots last night as it was a bit cloudy,hope you like.The fist time I used my focal reducer on my scope to reduce its size.The second image used a 3x ed barlow so is a bit distorted because of the atmospheric conditions last night as it was quite turbulent from the heat haze.
Andy
Attachments
b7mt.jpg
3 x barlow
b7mt.jpg (29.52 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
34t.jpg
Focal Reducer
34t.jpg (57.65 KiB) Viewed 1184 times
andrewscomputers

Re: A couple more moon shots

Postby Aratus » Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:05 pm

Barlows are great when the atmosphere is steady but a real millstone around the neck if not. Barlows also have a habit of showing every speck of dust on your optics! :( They come into their own for fine detail on moon and planets. I've even used them for planetary nebulas, but it does increase the exposure time.

Focal reducers are not as useful as they used to be now we have good stitching programmes. At one time I always switched to a focal reducer to get a full moon picture, but now I quickly take 3 or 4 shots of the moon to include all illuminated areas and stitch later on. They are still useful for getting a brighter image though, and for widening the visual field if you are looking for a small object like a comet. For a particularly large object, focal reducers can still decrease the number of images needed.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andrewscomputers » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:00 pm

Hi Aratus thanks for the information,I have only used the focal reducer to see how much of an image I could get as my camera only has a small chip.I like the idea of stitching and have used the ice software and I will have a go on other objects.
Andy
andrewscomputers

Postby Aratus » Fri Jul 07, 2017 6:50 pm

So far I've only ever using stitching software for lunar detail (and the noctilucent clouds!) It would be useful for some of the larger star clusters like the 'Double Cluster' in Cassiopia, or even the Pleiades. Something like the Andromeda Galaxy would be a real challenge though especially if it was done over several sessions. Large nebulae would have the same problem with matching exposures. Some experienced astrophotographers have successfully done it though.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches