A question or three about eyepieces

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

A question or three about eyepieces

Postby rmackenz » Wed Sep 08, 2010 1:46 am

Hi there
I've read about eyepieces a bit and i'd like to ask you what you think about the Baader Hyperion Zoom Mark III, do you like it?
Would you recommend it as a first eyepiece buy or do you think i'm better off with some regular EP's and a better barlow than the supplied one?
The scope came with a 25mm, 10mm and a 2x barlow (they're called "super") and i've read that the 10mm is not that great compared to what you can buy for a reasonable price.
How much of a difference is it between the supplied "lower" quality eyepieces and the better ones, like the one mentioned above?

I would appreciate if you want to give me a few hints toward the right direction.

Btw, to you say the full name of objects like the Pleiades or just M45? hehe
rmackenz

RE: A question or three about eyepieces

Postby philip pugh » Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:50 am

I only use a zoom eyepiece for narrowband solar viewing, as they introduce chromatic aberration. As far as I know, my "Science and Art" book is the only one that discusses eyepieces and don't forget image amplifiers and focal reducers. Makes me think someone (not necessarily me) should write an entire book dedicated to eyepieces and accessories.

My fave eyepieces are the Moonfish Group ones and Coronado CEMAX. I don't have much experience of any that cost more than £70. Also look at the Skywatcher 32mm Plossl but I don't like the 6mm Plossl as much.

There's loads of factors to consider, including personal preference.

On the last point, most of us say "Pleiades".
philip pugh

Postby rmackenz » Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:03 am

Thanks for the tips Philip, i'll read more about those after i get some sleep :)
rmackenz

Postby rmackenz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:06 am

I've read that the Celestron Ultima lx eyepieces are pretty good and i like the wider FOV they give so i'm thinking about getting 2 of those for now, which sizes would you recommend? i think the 8mm and 22mm would be good to start with.
I'm thinking about getting a 2x TV Powermate 2" as well, they seem to get really good reviews.

Also, they claim a 70 degree AFOV, which would give me around 0.56 degrees true FOV with the 8mm eyepiece and that seems pretty unreal to me, 125x magnification and still (barely) be able to see the whole moon? i'm not even close to that with my 10mm (100x) 'stock' EP, is the difference really that big? sounds too good to be true if you ask me

Do you think it's safe to buy from a "top rated seller" on ebay? Together, the powermate and 8mm EP are about 100$ USD cheaper there (they don't have the 22mm) than in sweden, i also don't really like the owner of the only shop that sell 'better' eyepieces like these here in sweden.. took him 2.5 weeks to send me a free laser collimator after i made a deal to drive about 380 (760 if you count the way back home again) kilometers to pick up the telescope i bought, i know it's not fun to give something away for free but a deal's a deal :p
rmackenz

Postby philip pugh » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:03 pm

I haven't had any experience of the Celestron Ultima eyepeices, so can't really judge the brand/type but the 8mm, 22mm eyepieces and 2x Barlow sounds like a good combination for your telescope. I'd also consider a 32mm or longer focal length eyepiece, too for some deep sky viewing but you can add that later.
philip pugh

Postby rmackenz » Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:36 pm

ok thanks for the reply, i might throw in a 32mm while i'm at it so i don't have to think about getting more EP's for a while.
rmackenz

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question