A Quiet Board!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

A Quiet Board!

Postby jsc248 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:28 am

Hi Gang,

It has been a couple of years since I was last posting on the boards, this was due to other commitments and I apologise for my absence. When I left the board was very lively with people posting many posts and replies were heavy. Now it seems that the board is very quiet. I don't mind if no-one replies to my posts, I post because I enjoy bringing news to the boards and if anyone finds them interesting then all the better. I will continue to post regardless but I can see that a number of you read the posts, why not try posting for yourself. If you like post replies to my posts, let me know if you find them boring or you enjoy following the links. Let's try and get the board back into gear, what to you say Gang?

John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Re: A Quiet Board!

Postby minimoa69 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:51 pm

Shhhhhh.....
You'll wake up the old folk! I think that it's all these light nights that cause the hibernation of of astronomy types.
Come October they'll return - blinking into the darker evening gloom with their freshly polished telescopes and then updating the forum with wild tales of black holes, fresh comets and discoveries of strange and exotic fields of moon cheese.
They'll be back!
minimoa69

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:42 pm

I was made redundant and my new job is much busier. I've stopped writing, too. I still do a bit of solar and lunar, weather permitting.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby dave.b » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:25 pm

There are three reasons for the lack of activity on the forum:
1. There was a problematic upgrade of the forum's software a few years back and many found they could not log back in and went elsewhere.
2. Social media.
3. Social media.

The forum is missing a "like" button, which is the most basic form of feedback. And that will be the most basic response you'll get to the posting of pictures and article links. The forum of old was a great debating ground for all subjects under the umbrella title of astronomy and a few outside of that. I'm still a regular visitor, but mostly from a mobile device with a screen keyboard that's not ideal for long pieces and prone to auto correct errors.

Regards
Dave B.
dave.b

Postby jsc248 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:38 pm

Hi Dave it's good to see that you are still here.
I think my posting may have been slightly mis-understood. I don't want people to like or dislike my postings, I want people to start making postings of their own for us all to read! I think an active board in this manner would be great!!
John.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby Admin » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:23 am

dave.b wrote:There are three reasons for the lack of activity on the forum:
1. There was a problematic upgrade of the forum's software a few years back and many found they could not log back in and went elsewhere.

Hi all,

Just for the record this statement is incorrect. As with other forum's worldwide, maintenance on our forum has always taken place on a regular basis. No users details have ever been lost or deleted during any of these maintenance schedules. However, many users have created accounts and have proceeded to either never use them or not post anything for over a year (which itself raises the question of why people bother to join in the first place). To conserve server space user accounts are deleted if no posts are made within that timeframe.

Kind regards
Admin
Admin
Site Admin

Postby dave.b » Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:27 pm

Well what ever the reason there was definitely a problem back in 2012 and cite this post as one of many to be found at the time as evidence: to-admins-or-just-general-help-t126819.html.
dave.b

Postby jsc248 » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:28 pm

Hi Dave,

As you are probably aware I have just returned to the boards after a long absence. I didn't want to lose my post count nor did I want to change my email or password. I sent the board admin an email stating that I wanted to return to the boards to carry on with my link posting, which I think is my best way to contribute at this time, and asked them to reactivate my old account and password. This they did almost immediately and the rest is history as they say! One simple email was all it took and I had no problems whatsoever!

John.
jsc248

Postby voyager » Tue Aug 11, 2015 11:00 am

It didn't help that the forum used to be dominated by narcissists* whom enjoyed nit-picking and bickering...

* Yes, they really do exist! :shock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no5-rKy_rqc
voyager

Postby Feynman » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:59 am

It is a very quiet board.
Feynman

Next

Return to General