A sunspot group in a heatwave

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

A sunspot group in a heatwave

Postby Aratus » Tue Jul 19, 2016 3:57 pm

In the midst of a solar minimum period, a group of fairly large spots have appeared.
In our present heatwave taking images wasn't exactly a pleasant experience, and the heat didn't help with the image either. The computer fan was going at full speed too. I only took 3 sets of images before getting out of the sun. :oops:

First the context of the spots. No focal reducers are anything like that. This was a quick job

Then the spots themselves in detail. No barlows, just 5% of 2000 images

This was taken at 1313 UT on 18th July 2016. The group is fairly prominent at the moment but slipping away to one side.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: A sunspot group in a heatwave

Postby andrewscomputers » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:22 pm

Hi aratus I look at those sunspots and they are quite clear and nice images
andrewscomputers

Re: A sunspot group in a heatwave

Postby Aratus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 10:43 pm

They are just about visible with eclispe glasses, and can easily be seen via projection. I thought we had seen the last of any large sunspots for a while, but these were a nice surprise. With such short nights it is good to be able to observe something.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches