Advice for a newbie

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

RE: Advice for a newbie

Postby sftonkin » Sat May 30, 2009 11:53 am

Just to add to the confusion [:D] , and in the light of what seems to be your budget, I'd consider something like a Skywatcher Skyliner 200 plus a copy of "[url=http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/0521781906/1944]Turn Left at Orion[/url]" (I endorse everything clipperide said about it -- except that there's actually a heck of a lot more than a hundred objects -- you get more than you think you're paying for [:)]). An 8" Dob has the advantage of being incredibly simple to use and is a good "compromise scope" considering your interests in planets and deep sky. (There was a time when an 8" reflector was referred to as a "standard telescope".)

You can, later, add a dovetail bar to the scope and put it on an equatorial mount with GOTO, but I'd really advise starting out spending your lucre on decent (as in aperture and quality) optics first, then ading "frills" like GOTO later.
sftonkin

Postby wilko » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:56 pm

I have now taken the plunge and purchased a skywatcher 127 synscan as toto scope a difficult choice and I am hopeing it will be a good one!

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated, just got to learn how to use it now :-)

Wilko
wilko

Postby Chanctonbury » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:46 pm

Good luck with your new purchase, I hope it brings you lots of pleasure - no reason why it shouldn't.
Chanctonbury

Postby clipperride » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:20 am

One more thing to add - don't be at all discouraged in the early days with what you see. Two reasons for this are; i) We are quickly heading into Summer when it never gets really, truely dark which means that some objects look a little "washed out" due to the lighter sky and ii) a telescope is a little like a musical instrument. It takes time to learn how to see things to get the full detail from what appears in the eyepiece. The more time you spend examining an objec the more detail you will tease out of it. It sounds daft but it really is true. I can see a lot more detail now than I could when I first started out and a few tricks of the trade can be picked up from the wonderful "Turn Left at Orion"

I hope your chosen scope gives you many many hours of enjoyment and remember that, what ever your astro question, there is usually someone on this forum that can give you some advice.

Regards

Mark B
clipperride

Previous

Return to General