advive please

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

RE: advive please

Postby keithmorris » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:23 pm

Hi nozzmoking. What made me go for the ebay special? Quite simply I had a 60mm Tasco refracter for years but it was only really useful for luna observing. Then my brother gave me his old Tasco galaxysee 114mm newt. This was a good little scope, but I am most interested in deep space than planetary viewing and imaging. Money was tight so I looked around for a cheap 6". While this was good for luna and planetary, not much better for deep space, so I took the plunge and bought a Meade LXD75 10" SNT off ebay. Scope was 4 months old and I got it for £810. Iwas not the highest bidder (he backed out and I got a second chance offer from the seller) considering that I would be saving nearly £400 on the cost of a brand new one (if you can get one I hear the LXD75 range is all on back order) I had to have it. Once I set it up and aligned it, I saw more deep sky objects over the next 2 hours than I had viewed in the previous 6 months! Result! I still use th 6" from time to time mainly for planetary viewing, when I don't have the time to set up the Meade. (Warning this is a big and heavy scope, I usually take the tripod out, then the OTA, then the counterweights and then assemble outside).
keithmorris

RE: advive please

Postby keithmorris » Fri Dec 16, 2005 5:50 pm

Hi Nozz, check out ebay. I bought an Antares eyepiece (10mm) from scopes-n-skies (can't remember how much I paid but it was under £35) and it is a good eyepiece. Also there are also people selling from the USA on there I bought a meade 18mmwide angle again I'm sure I paid under £35 because I didn't get a VAT request when it came into the country and again this is a very good eyepiece. I am currently looking at some televue nagler eyepieces (considered by many to be the best there are) also from the USA. Now that I have tried this seller and gotten good results I will be buying from them again. Hope this helps. ps that budget scope you bought on ebay, if it is the same as mine it's rated at 1400mm focal length. it does this by having a lens in the bottom of the draw tube. I removed mine (please do this with the scope off the mount and the front of the scope pointed down, then when you unscrew this lens you won't drop into the scope and damage your mirror) it is not as powerful as before but the objects seen are much clearer.
keithmorris

Previous

Return to Equipment Advice