Am i doing something wrong

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Am i doing something wrong

Postby rab3 » Tue May 12, 2015 7:51 pm

I have a Canon EOS 400d attached to my Meade 2090. I bought an eyepiece projector so as i could put various eyepieces in and see what difference it would make. my question is when i take a photo in daylight through the telescope if it is a fast shutter speed i get a image back, but if i take a picture with a slow shutter speed say 1 to 2 seconds the image comes back white, dont know if that is the norm or not in daylight, i have not tried it at night time as i am just starting out, any info on the eyepiece projection and how to start of with taking shot of the moon and planets would be a great help. totally new to all this, when i see what you guys can get with your cameras through the telescope, well amazing is an understatement. Thanks
rab3

Re: Am i doing something wrong

Postby dave.b » Thu May 14, 2015 11:11 pm

Are you using the camera with a normal lens fitted to take pictures of the image projected by the telescope's eye piece? Or are you attaching the camera body with a T-Ring adapter to the eye piece? A picture of the set up might help.

The black image with a fast shutter might indicate an under exposure or an optical misalignment.

The white image from a slow shutter might indicate an over exposure or an out of focus image of the eye piece's exit pupil.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby david48 » Mon May 25, 2015 7:29 pm

In the old days, the only thing needed in amateur astronomy, was a Mk-I human eyeball.

Applied to a 3-inch refractor or 6-inch reflector, to actually look through. And make observations.

But these days, the observations don't seem to matter. All that matters is this:

WHAT EQUIPMENT ARE YOU USING
david48

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:05 pm

Yeah, but without equipment, you'd just be staring up at stuff. ;)
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Postby david48 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:43 pm

I think you got it right, Sky.

Staring up at "stuff" in the sky, is nowadays not really important. I mean the "stuff" itself doesn't matter.

It's which eyepiece we're using to stare at the "stuff" with, that we must give all our thoughts to.

Apparently.
david48

Postby SkyWatcher17 » Mon May 25, 2015 10:53 pm

Well, you still need stuff to look up at, eyepiece or no, I just wish the clouds would disperse a bit. I got a tantalisingly good view of Saturn in the south last night with the naked eye. I was so tempted to set the Mak up, but it was late and I was very tired.
Sky-Watcher Explorer 130M, EQ5 Deluxe, AZ5 Deluxe, SkyMax 102mm, SkyMax 127mm, Orion/SW ST80s (both modified), Vixen Porta II/Vixen SXG Hal-130, Orion 90mm StarMax , Celestron NexStar Evolution 9.25", TS Optics/GSO: SVD series 150mm, f/6.
SkyWatcher17

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question