Amateur Astronomer wanting to confirm some obs

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Amateur Astronomer wanting to confirm some obs

Postby singingstarbird » Wed Sep 01, 2010 11:43 am

Hello. Just wanted to ask about the ISS can i confirm if anyone saw it around 9.30pm (i'm in manchester) also using my 127 skywatcher using a 2x barlow lens and 25mm was able to see a good view of Jupiter and the NEB. Still could not see the SEB but i think i was able to just pick up the great red spot, my first time ive seen it, can any one confirm It was what I saw, this was round 22.45.

Thank you, I'm learning [:)]

Vicky xxx
singingstarbird

RE: Amateur Astronomer wanting to confirm some obs

Postby worcspaul » Wed Sep 01, 2010 12:16 pm

Hello Vicky. Yes, a number of people saw the ISS last night, preceded by the Russian Progress supply ship. If you take a look around the [url=http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/tt.asp?forumid=19]Observations, Images & Sketches[/url] area, you'll see some images taken last night.

'fraid I can't help with Jupiter. Through my 60mm refractor I can make out the NEB with 12.5mm EP (56x) and can sometimes (depending on seeing) make out a band south of where the SEB would normally be. I was observing a bit earlier in the evening than you and couldn't detect the GRS but that could be a combination of optics/seeing! [:)]
worcspaul

Postby singingstarbird » Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:23 am

Hi thank you for your reply, i managed to see it again - the ISS yesterday and today found a good site as follows:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/realdata/tracking/index.html

If you click on sighting opportunities and click on which country etc.....it give you times and direction it comes from.

I managed to ask a friend in the Astonomy group re: GRS and it was what i saw - i feel really thrilled to have seen it though not in detail its still a joy to me.

Any tips of how i can see deep space objects better with a skywatcher 127 - i have two eye pieces 25mm and 10mm with a 2x barlow lens and really would love to see or make out a few more deep space objects. I saw the Andromedian Galaxy earlier in the year though it was a very faint smudge though I was excitied knowing it took around 2.5 million light years to reach my scope.

Or would it be better if I saved and got a dobsonian or maybe a 6 or 8inch compact scope for deep space objects. can you get lighter weight dobsonians.....? or given im in manchester would it not benefit me much. xxxx

love vicky xxxxxxxxx
singingstarbird

Postby worcspaul » Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:20 am

You might also want to look at [url=http://www,heavens-above.com]Heavens Above[/url] You register on the site (it's free) and tell it your latitude/longitude. It's then able to predict if/when the ISS will be visible to you over the next 10 days.

The problem with magnifying is that you lose light in the process, so although you might make the smudge of Andromeda larger, it will also be fainter. DSOs are aptly named "fuzzies" because they tend to be just that! [;)] A larger aperture scope will capture more light which may help.

worcspaul

Postby drechana » Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:16 pm

Do you have an iphone?

There is a great app on there called skyvoyager that you hold up to the sky and it will show you whats in front of you. Also one called flyby which will give you when the ISS is coming around and at what time and so forth.

I use them quite a bit, very handy.

James
drechana

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question