Amateur Reflector Scope??

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Amateur Reflector Scope??

Postby sympatico157 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:55 am

Hi
As an amateur teenage astronomer I am interested in buying a reflector as a second telescope with a budget of around £300. I was looking at either the Celestron Astromaster 130EQ or the Celestron Nexstar 130SLT. I like the idea of the GoTo feature, but i was unsure because of the similar prices whether the optics of the Astromaster would be significantly better than the Nexstar. Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
thanks,
J.

PS.
Lens recommendations: Do i need to purchase anything or are the supplied lenses satisfactory?

PPS. (you're sick of me already i bet :D ) I would love to start keeping a record of my observations; is any astrophotography possible with either of these scopes (Bearing in mind the budget :? ) or should i go back to my sketchbook!
Right i'm done! Thanks guys ;)
sympatico157

Re: Amateur Reflector Scope??

Postby Aratus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:34 pm

It is interesting if they are the same price. On the face of it they are both 130mm newtonian reflectors. I can't see why one should be better than the other. In fact the Celestron Nexstar 130SLT might be better since it won't have unnecessary optics for terrestrial viewing. A goto mount is very useful, but bear in mind that it still needs alignment. The EQ mount would only score over the altazimuth if you were taking very long exposures.

Regarding eyepieces a 2x barlow would enable good planetary viewing.

Regarding keeping an observing log, you don't need to take photos to keep a log. Visual descriptions and drawings are fine. I've kept a log since 1971, and I didn't record photographically on a regular basis until 2004. There is nothing wrong with a sketch. Having said that you will be able take photos with a Newtonian with either a DSLR and suitable adaptor, or a CCD. (Now-a- days I wouldn't sketch if I could photograph ;) )
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Amateur Reflector Scope??

Postby sympatico157 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:48 pm

Thanks a lot Aratus, I'll look into the 2x barlow, and definitely think about investing in a CCD for future observations. I am in agreement with the Nexstar being the better scope, and will look into buying one of them :-D
sympatico157

Return to Equipment Advice