An idea ... not strictly telescope making but ...

Share practical advice and tips on making your own kit

An idea ... not strictly telescope making but ...

Postby andyg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:00 pm

My brain has been at it again, which has spawned the question of the day. Is there any reason why a laser shouldn't be substituted for a polar scope in a standard eq5 type mount? Is there such a thing and I'm reinventing the wheel or have I just generated the copyright on a potential moneyspinner? [;)]

I can't see a obvious negative ... I'd have to knock up some kind of simple mounting assembly to allow for alignment and obviously a switch but, for the sake of a few seconds of laser illumination, it would save the pain in the proverbials that is gawping at an awkward angle to find a really dim polaris ...

AndyG
andyg

RE: An idea ... not strictly telescope making but ...

Postby skye at night » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:50 pm

hello.

It can be done and I have been using a laser alligned approximately to the polar axis to get a rough alignment.

At 56.something deg. north polar alignment can be a bit of a 'down on knees and crick your neck' event.

I think for accurate setup, and for astrophotography and longer tracking, it would not be accurate enough to give the fine tuning that a good illuminated polar scope can give.

Steve

skye at night

Postby andyg » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:50 pm

For photographic work I agree that accuracy would be more of an issue but I probably wouldn't be relying on the polar scope for that anyway - many don't use them at all and just sight through the axis then do proper alignment! For initial or good 'grab and go' type alignment where 'close enough' will do I'd think it would be ok. There's a job I've made myself.

So it's a £12 laser and a bit of work then I can put 'astro alignment tool' on the box and charge £85+vat for it!!!

AndyG
andyg

Postby sftonkin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:56 pm

Good enough for visual and, if you're imaging, you ideally ought to drift-align anyway...
sftonkin

Return to Telescope Making