An Indian beginner from Sweden

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

An Indian beginner from Sweden

Postby zixon » Sat Feb 25, 2006 3:50 am

Dear Friends,

[b]My name is Dipak Sundaram[/b]. I am pursuing my [i]Masters degree[/i] in IT at [i]KTH, Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden[/i]. Im of [b]Indian[/b] origin.

Participating in these forums is my first step into the Astronomy community. I am recently thinking of astronomy as a serious hobby and would like to start observations. I have bought a few books (not yet a telescope) and gone through many web-sites and forums.

I would be grateful for any advice you could render for my queries in the various forums of this website. I apologize if some of these questions have already been dealt with. I would also do my best to participate and be a valuble member to this community though being a newbie myself right now.

I would welcome any suggestions for me to get started.

Thank you.
zixon

RE: Welcome zixon

Postby cookie » Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:16 pm

Nice to hear from someone outside the UK too. I've only joined recently too, Unable to offer any advise at this moment, but keep on watching, advise might be on its way.

Cookie M[;)]
cookie

Postby Chanctonbury » Sat Feb 25, 2006 2:56 pm

Welcome Dipak, it is interesting to see that this forum is attracting interest from outside the UK.

I look forward to your questions and contributions and good luck with your degree.
Chanctonbury

Postby phill » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:36 pm

Hi Dipak and welcome,

I am a beginner in this hobby so the only advice I can offer -for what it is worth - is don't rush to buy a telescope. If you have binoculars use them, it's surprising what you can see. At the same time you can seek advice from the very experienced members of this forum who will be more than happy to help.

Good luck with your studies.

phill
phill

Postby jsc248 » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:43 pm

Hi Dipak,
Welcome to the forum and we look forward to hearing any questions that you may have. There's always someone on this forum that is willing and able to help.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby jess » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:53 pm

Hi Dipak!

A degree in ICT? That sounds quite interesting; I'm quite interested in ICT/Computing myself, though probably not as a career. I'd like to welcome you to the forum, anyways, from another newbie here. I hope you enjoy it here and that any questions you have get answered sufficiently (which I don't doubt they will, everyone seems very helpful and friendly). See you around the forums!

-Jess
jess

Postby zixon » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:16 pm

Hi Guys,

Thanks all for the welcome. I heard the same from an astronomy club to first use a binoculars and then later on go for a telescope.

Most people in this forum own a telescope and I cant wait to get my hands wet - and my eyes as well :-) in exploring the deep sky.

[b]- Can you please advice me as to what exactly will I be able to see with my binoculars ? [/b]

Thanks
zixon

Postby jsc248 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 11:30 pm

Hi Dipak,
If you send me your name and address I will post you the book Exploring the Night Sky with Binoculars by Patrick Moore. It's an excellent guide to getting started with binoculars.
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby zixon » Wed Mar 01, 2006 12:03 am

Thanks jsc248,

I have emailed you my address.

Its very nice of you to offer and help a novice

Thanks
zixon

Postby big dipper » Wed Mar 01, 2006 1:26 am

Mars will appear as an orange dot, Juditer will see seen as a small disk The little dots that may appeas as small dots Venus will currently in its crescent phase but thout any markings & mercury, when visible as a small dot. Saturn will appear as an elongated sight. Do not ecpect to see the rings. You need more magnification to see them at all. Forget Uranus, Neptune & pluto!!

Welcome to our frienldy asylum BTW. [:D]
big dipper

Return to Introductions