An Observation List for May + Jupiter

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

An Observation List for May + Jupiter

Postby Aratus » Wed May 04, 2016 5:48 pm

I went out at 2145. The sky was deep blue, but there was a light northern horizon. Light winds and around 4 - 5°C. Chocky the cat had no qualms about going out on patrol leaving me to set up the telescope.
This evening I decided to observe the list from my ‘Leo’ series. (When Leo is due south)
I aligned on Arcturus and Regulus.
First I looked at Jupiter. Using the 2" diagonal and 8mm eyepiece. (x254) The seeing was poor, but the GRS was visible near the preceding limb, the and the shadow of Europa near the central meridian. I decided that since it looked quite good, and it hadn’t yet gone completely dark I would try to take a photo of it using a 2x barlow. (2142 UT) The result wasn’t very good, but both features are clearly visible. The planet is now a little smaller, and less bright than a month or so ago. Note the following limb is darker and less distinct than the preceding limb because the sun is no longer illuminating the following limb.

Then using my 22mm eyepiece I went through the object list I compiled beforehand. The idea is to have a list of objects I can see at that time, and to make notes of objects I can spend more time looking at later on. I can also identify objects that I might image on a future date. As we might expect in Spring there are a lot of galaxies.

UT Object Co Name/type Comment
2158 M92 Her Globular Cluster nice central area
2200 M13 Her Globular Cluster more uniform than 92
2202 Rasalgethi Her Multiple star brighter orange, dimmer yellow
2204 M5 Ser Globular Cluster nice central area
2208 Leo Triplet Leo Galaxies
2211 NGC 2903 Leo Galaxy faint with brighter core
2212 NGC 3521 Leo Galaxy brighter core
2212 Algieba Leo Multiple Star nice - one slighter brighter than the other
2213 Porrima Vir Multiple Star 2 equal stars - close 2.6" separation.
2214 M61 Vir Galaxy Nice with some texture
2214 M60 Vir Galaxy faint with bright central
2215 M104 -Sombrero Vir Galaxy a fuzzy line
2216 M64 Black eye Com Galaxy
2217 M100 Com Galaxy faint
2218 M85 Com Galaxy faint
2219 M53 Com Galaxy nice - bright
2220 NGC 4565 Com Galaxy faint fuzzy line
2225 M81 Bodes CVn Galaxy brightish
2226 M82 Cigar CVn Galaxy
2228 Algorab Crv Multiple Star small and bigger stars - nicely spaced

I've avoided objects that are behind trees or houses from my location. Also objects that are too high in the sky, and cause the telescope to ground on the mount. (The biggest drawback of an alt-azimuth mount, especially with 2" diagonals and eyepieces!)

Chocky the cat came to join me just as I was putting everything away. It was great to just stand there and listen to the midnight silence. (Her ears were darting around, so I guess she was hearing more than I was.) Mars had now risen but is in some distant trees. Capella was settling down in her northern twilight. Summer constellations are now waiting in the wings. I went inside but unusually Chocky remained outside. A sure sign it is getting warmer.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: An Observation List for May + Jupiter

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed May 04, 2016 7:31 pm

Thanks for the report - I have to say that it's a pretty good image of Jupiter IME.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Aratus » Thu May 05, 2016 4:05 pm

It is good of you to say so. Having got some remarkable photos with good seeing at opposition, I have been rather spoilt this year! The worse thing is that there are stacking artifacts on the left hand side due to the extreme distortions from the bad seeing. I took 7 series and this was the best one.

Having said all that it accurately shows the shadow and the GRS. The disturbed area on the following side of the GRS is visible too, along with the following limb darkening. It is a good record of what I could see visually.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Mon May 16, 2016 9:54 pm

Better than my Jupiter efforts.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches