Antikythera mechanism

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Re: Antikythera mechanism

Postby minimoa69 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Well after a two and half month break to build a quick orrery - as you do - I've finally got back to the Antikythera Mechanism and actually got it to a point where it works! Well - after a fashion anyhow...
Below is s link to a YouTube film of the first trial run of the most complex part of the mechanism all linked together. There are a few more gears to fit, but they are all part of a single simple gear train that runs at the bottom of the machine but adds no real extra complexity thank goodness. As you'll see, it's still a bit clunky - it's very much a trial fit at the moment - but it proves that with a little fettling the design will work, which I'm quite relieved about since, as far as I'm aware, nobody has ever built this particular version before with this planet mechanism (the gear system within the dark brown circular frames).
Anyhow, more soon,
Dave.
:-)
https://youtu.be/1RJDMeesFKErunning
minimoa69

Postby minimoa69 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 pm

Hi folks,

All the gearing is now in and it runs! Relieved doesn't begin to cover it...

So below is a link to a film of the completed gearing being wound by a hastily fitted handle. Next job? Dials and pointers. Almost there...

https://youtu.be/Ku9k8o2YIsE

Bye for now,
Dave.
minimoa69

Postby dave.b » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Looking good! Can't wait to see it with the dials.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby minimoa69 » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:13 pm

So, where the heck did the last year go? I've been quietly beavering away on my machine over the past 11 or 12 months, refining the design a bit, and cutting out all the bits for MK2, which I'm now happy to say is finally being assembled. It's been a very long road, but hopefully I'm getting to close finishing it before I reach old age...
I'll try and post more frequent updates now that there's actuality something worth sharing!
Photos show new all the components cut and ready for assembly, first gears being fitted to the main frame, the planet unit freshly completed, and the new frame design.
More soon.
Dave.

minimoa69

Postby dave.b » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:11 pm

What was the problem with your mark 1 build?
dave.b

Postby minimoa69 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:16 am

Hi Dave,
So sorry for not replying sooner - I've only just checked back to see what's been gong on.
On the one hand there was not really anything wrong with the first one at all - at least not on a mechanical level. Everything worked, the gearing didn't bind, and it looked pretty good. It was an antikythera mechanism! However, because I was stupid I didn't make the frames big enough to take the dials - and without the dials the machine is just a very complicated, gear driven paper weight without any real purpose.
I was going to re-use the existing gearing for the MK 2 version but I eventually re-cut everything from scratch - this also had the benefit of leaving me my original machine to refer to as I built the second one.
So, in a nutshell, I had to build a second machine because of a complete lack of planning and forethought!
The new machine is now really coming together though, so I'll post another update picture or two very soon.
minimoa69

Postby minimoa69 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:02 pm

Not finished by a long shot - but it's now in more or less one piece and it works! Happiness is 57 spinning wooden gears. Almost ready to start predicting an eclipse or two!

minimoa69

Postby spartan45 » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:13 pm

Wow. I am humbled by your enthusiasm and ingenuity. This device demonstrates how knowledge can be forgotten. I remember reading in an old text book many years ago about an ancient philosopher being taken into the sky by a chariot powered by quicksilver spinning in a bowl but cannot find the book or reference anywhere now. That knowledge has vanished, even though only over decades rather than thousands of years. Good luck with your project to show what is possible with skill and determination.
spartan45

Postby minimoa69 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 7:46 pm

After two and a half years the final chassis for my machine is finally finished. At 'blimmin last...
Tonight is going to see me start work on the final two bevel gears that are the final drive for the moon, and then it's time to make the dials to bring it to life. This is the bit that I've been really looking forward to.
Can't wait to get it finished now.

minimoa69

Postby minimoa69 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:27 pm

Hi Folks,
Just thought that you might like to see some photos of the nearly finished machine.
The brass look dials need swapping for proper English translated ones - once I've created them; the two long pointers on the spiral dial side need to be rebuilt so that they incorporate pins that drop into the spiral slots - a little like on a record player - so that you know at exactly what part of the spiral they are pointing at (these are the date and eclipse prediction dials). It also needs to be tidied up, a lot!
But, the mechanism works just great, better than I could have hoped to be honest. It also now desoerately needs calibrating to stop it being nothing more than pretty wooden paper weight. That's going to be a challenge in itself...
I'll share another set of pics and a video when it's completely finished.
Dave.

minimoa69

PreviousNext

Return to General