Anyone know of an anti cloud dance?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Anyone know of an anti cloud dance?

Postby triskellion » Thu Feb 02, 2006 1:36 pm

Is it just me or has this been a really bad summer for observing! i reckon i have had clouds every night bar about 4 since i dunno feels like months now. I remember winter being full of very clear and cold nights when i have seen some of the best things ever up in the sky. This year has been awfull for me. The last time i was out it was looking like the best night all winter. Perfectly still and perfectly clear. not a cloud in site for miles. So i set up and then decided to do some calibrations on the scope before i started my gazing. so im about halfway through and i just popped inside for about 2 mins to say night to the missus. When i got back outside the whole sky was covered in thick cloud again! AAAHHHH! and its been cloudy ever since so now my scope is half calibrated (read calibrated totally wrong). My questions are these.

Has everyone had the same experience this year or is it just me? (i have moved this year to Southend which is obviously by the thames estuary so could be the reason for more clouds?)

Secondly, how do the clouds know when ive put my scope up?
How do they know to time it so that just as i finish my alignment and im ready to start, they roll right over my head?

Lastly, any shamens out there who know of any dances, potions or chants which will keep my clouds at bay?
triskellion

RE: Anyone know of an anti cloud dance?

Postby cumbrianwolf » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:26 pm

Don't know of any dances or else i would be a rich man, Its called the astronomers curse i either get it in the form of broken parts or full cloud cover.
The cure is luck and if you ain't got that then your in my boat as well.
Keep paddling it will end somewhere soon well i hope so.[:D]
cumbrianwolf

Postby keithmorris » Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:13 pm

I have the solution to cloud problems. When I win the Euro millions I'm gonna buy the world's biggest fan and blow the bloody things away!! hahahahahahaha
Hey who are those blokes with white coats and why are they pointing at me?????????[8|][8|][8|][8|][8|][8|]
keithmorris

Postby mike bruce » Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:16 am

Apparently the Russians have had the answer to the cloudy stuff for years, it involves planes dropping dry ice on them. BBC news link : [url=http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/europe/801609.stm]http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/low/europe/801609.stm[/url]
Perhaps if we all chip in...

mike bruce

Postby triskellion » Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:56 pm

Im in, you get the plane and il bring the ice.
triskellion

Postby les » Mon Feb 13, 2006 2:20 pm

HI All,[:)]
Did anyone else manage any observation last night. It was mild 5C slightly hazy a bright full moon and pristine conditions for veiwing of Saturn.Magical.I even managed a decent image of Saturn (even if I do say so myself),simply using a 4 megapixel compact camera and Universal digiscopng adapter.Amazing whats possible with simple equipment these days.[:)]
Regards Les.
les

Postby triskellion » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:03 am

Glad to hear you got some views in mate. Not for me unfortunately, thick grey clouds as usual i could only just tell that there was a moon up there at all. Even tried throwing ice cubes up at the clouds but they wouldnt go away. Would love to see your pics maybe you should put them in the gallery bit. I have never managed to get any decent planetary images with a normal digital camera and always have to revert to the LPI or toucam. Have you ever tried any deep stuff with the digital camera?
triskellion

Postby les » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:33 pm

HI Triskellion,
The ice cubes sound a bit desperate,Im not surprised it dident work.Try wafting your Valentines cards at them.[:)]My image of Saturn isnt that good but Im proud of it.I have a Acuter astronomical imager that I got last summer,but unfortunatly my computer's in the sitting room while the telescope is at the bottom of the garden,a laptop is the next thing ,it never ends does it!
Hoping your sky clears soon Les
les

Postby triskellion » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:23 pm

speaking of valentines you just know its going to be clear tonight when we are all supposed to be romancing dont you. Anyone got any ideas for persuading the other half that it really is romantic to stand outside all night in 5 degrees staring at blobs? Perhaps i could convince her im looking for the heart nebula for her or something.
triskellion

Postby les » Thu Feb 23, 2006 2:40 am

HI All,
On the evening of the 22 February the clouds allowed a observing session of 7minutes.Has any one ever had a more pitiful one than that.[:@]
Regards disgruntled.
les

Next

Return to General