Anyone see the Meteors?

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Anyone see the Meteors?

Postby clipperride » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:46 pm

I've just seen the BBC news report about a shower of meteors seen from Sothern England last night;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/8102331.stm

I just wondered if anyone could give a first hand account of what they saw?

Regards

Mark B
clipperride

RE: Anyone see the Meteors?

Postby brianb » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33 pm

[quote]I've just seen the BBC news report about a shower of meteors seen from Sothern England last night[/quote]
Hmmm.... re-entering space debris? Meteor showers don't normally behave like that!
brianb

Postby self5927 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:56 pm

South today (our local news in and around the Southampton area) said it was meteor showers over the solent
self5927

Postby mark jones » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:13 pm

I'd assume I'm not the only one who found the explanation given - three fairly weak meteor showers - rather incredulous. Without more detail of brightness or direction it is hard to tell. Maybe more information will emerge.
mark jones

Postby natalie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 pm

Hi everyone
I must say that about 21.40 on Monday evening me and my dad saw a very bright blue/ white meteor like object travelling in a southerly direction, it was still very much light outside and we were surprised by just how bright it was. (We were both watching TV when we saw it out of the window).
I went outside for several minutes but there was no other activity.
Was it a meteor or a meteorite??? I am not sure but what I will say is that I have seen a fair few meteor showers and the odd shooting star but nothing compares to what I saw last night.

I don't know if anyone else could give any suggestions, I live in West Cornwall.

Take care everyone

Natalie x
natalie

Postby clipperride » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Thanks for the feed back.

I did wonder on reading the news report if it could have been some space junk re-entering the atmosphere, which was why I asked if anyone had seen it for themselves.

Let's hope that there have been some more eye-witness accounts so we can (maybe) get to the bottom of what it was.

Natalie - It must have been a bright object to be seen against the sky at 21:40. Could you let us know what the weather conditions where like at the time?

Thanks again all

Regards

Mark B.
clipperride

Postby natalie » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:43 pm

Hi again,

Yes Mark it was a clear sunny evening, there wasn't any cloud about.
I was going to add a post last night after it happened, but I thought in the end I would see if other people had reported seeing anything and it seems quite a few people have according to the news.

Natalie [:)]
natalie

Return to General