Artificial Star Build

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Re: Artificial Star Build

Postby Aratus » Sun Mar 06, 2016 2:03 pm

I'd forgotton about that company. A good choice.

Does anyone from the magazine actually look at these posts and answer questions?
I had expected that someone would come in by now with some suggestions from the article writer..
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby clark_ka » Wed Apr 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Hi to all you aspiring Artificial Star Builders! Not wishing to contravene S@N contractual conditions, as I am the contributor to the article that appeared in the February and March issues of the magazine, I thought it might be helpful to list parts and materials info in an attachment for those interested in constructing the device.
For clarification, the purpose in using an expensive but precise pinhole in the unit function was both to simplify the assembly (no mirrors or microscopic drill holes) and to create a perfectly round aperture to allow a narrow and intense beam of light, representative of a bright star, which would be visible at close focus.

Good luck in your project.

Kim Clark
Attachments
StarSim component data.png
StarSim component data.png (70.74 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
clark_ka

Postby Aratus » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:31 pm

Many thanks Kim. It would have been a shame if folk couldn't have completed the project for the lack of sources of the components. I for one have learnt a lot from the article and your post.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Previous

Return to General