asterixhb

Come and say hello to your fellow Sky at Night Magazine fan

asterixhb

Postby asterixhb » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:13 pm

Hello all.
I'm Kev from near Callington (East Cornwall) and have been vaguely interested in astro stuff since my early teens. About 4 years ago I bought my first scope, an Orion Optics F5 6" Europa (which I shamefully admit is gathering dust right now), but I still remember my first view of the Ring Nebula. Not really having a clue how to polar align, this was much more of an achievement than it sounds.
My current weapon of choice is now a Meade LXD 55 SCT (8"), which I bought about 2 years ago. I have no permanent set-up at present, so I still have the rigmarole of assembly and alignment every time, but I am getting quite proficient at it. I haven't drift aligned yet as I do not do astrophotography, purely visual so far, but if you read one of my previous messages "Home Made Observatory" (thanks for the advice Steve, Dave & Ernie) and "Astrophotography where to begin" (thanks Steve again, Wolf) you can see where I am heading (hopefully).
I have relatively dark skies where I live with Bodmin Moor and Dartmoor only minutes away for those really black ones that everybody yearns for.
Clear Skies everyone.

Kev. [:D]
asterixhb

RE: asterixhb

Postby big dipper » Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:30 pm

Welcome to the forum Kev. I envy your dark sky site. Funnily enough I think M57 was either the first or the second DSO I ever observed when having purchased my first serious telescope (a 4" Bresser refractor). Between us all we've managed to make this forum a happy & friendly place to visit. Let's hope we all stick around for a long time to come. [:)]
big dipper

Postby gammalog » Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:36 pm

Hi Kev, welcome aboard and thanks for taking the time to introduce yourself to the Forum. As Andy says, its a very friendly group.
gammalog

Postby madmartian » Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:03 pm

Where does the name "asterixhb" come from?
madmartian

Postby jsc248 » Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:06 pm

Hi Kev,
Welcome to the forum.
jsc248
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby asterixhb » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:13 pm

Hi MM,
Sorry for not replying sooner. Asterix is a play on my surname, whilst the hb is unfortunately a spur of the moment choice whilst deciding my e-mail name. Asterix had already gone, I didn't like the other suggested choices, so just randomly hit the keyboard twice thereby adding hb to asterix.
You DID ask !!!! [image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m15.gif[/image]
asterixhb

Return to Introductions