Asteroid captured flying across the moon?

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Asteroid captured flying across the moon?

Postby the apothecary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:27 pm

I am a novice astronomer and have attempted to film the moon, I have a skywatcher telescope and captured what I think is an asteroid spinning across the moon.
If anyone can help me with finding more about the object I have captured that would be just brilliant!
Captured through a celestron 1.25" Barlow on a Nikon D7100
The whole event was filmed under three minutes and appeared to orbit the moon twice a minute interval between each orbit.
I have screen shot the movie file but it doesn't really do the footage justice. I am unable to link a movie file or a external url for the footage which is worth seeing.
The object spirals in front of the moon, captured twice.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (16.62 KiB) Viewed 1387 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (111.13 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (134.98 KiB) Viewed 1389 times
Last edited by the apothecary on Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:21 pm, edited 3 times in total.
the apothecary

Re: Asteroid captured flying across the moon?

Postby Aratus » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:56 pm

Asteroids don't tend to inhabit the area between the earth and the moon, so I think your explanation is unlikely. If you can show a still from the video, that would be useful. A time and date would also help.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby the apothecary » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:20 pm

Hi thank you for quick response and information, the date was the 19th April at 20.30hrs from Birmingham UK
It spirals over and over again and then appears again across the moon about 1 minute later.
The stills I have uploaded don't real do it justice though.
What could it be?
Thanks agin
the apothecary

Postby Supercooper » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:22 am

Hi,

Firstly: Nothing could orbit the Moon in a minute.

So we're faced with it being several different objects (Or possibly living organisms) crossing the face of the Moon while you are filming!

Let me explain: This happened to me in the 70s. I was observing the Moon in a 6" Newt at about 100x. I noticed, while I was watching, little diamond shaped grey blurry things moving up the Moon! It looked like a game of Space invaders in reverse! The diamond shapes weren't still either - The edges waggled up and down!

However, as they were fairly costantly crossing the Moon in about fifteen seconds I thought to refocus my telescope and, as the Moon went out of focus, the grey diamonds darkened to black against the Moon and resolved themselves. There were geese flying high across the Moon's face (So, yes - It was other living organisms!) - Which, when out of focus looked very weird indeed!

Geese have been radar imaged flying at 30,000ft. These were certainly very high...

I suspect the truth of your observation is stranger than you thought - It wasn't asteroids, but living things!

Hope this helps :o)

Barry :O)
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby the apothecary » Wed Apr 27, 2016 7:42 am

Thanks Barry, you describe something similar to my experience, the space invader description matches. You may have found an answer for me though disappointed it's not something more exciting!
Looking at it again with your explanation I can see that it does appear to flap like a bird in places, a sharpe triangle appearance in other movement and the second time you can see it fall (flies!) in the same way. So I think you could be right. Much appreciated!
the apothecary

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches