Astrofarm in France - as featured on TV

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Astrofarm in France - as featured on TV

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm

I don't know if anyone here follows the daytime programme "A New LIfe in the Sun", but the last season featured a couple who have set up an Astrofarm near Limoges in western France. As we half knew the couple anyway, we booked in for a couple of nights on our return from our recent holiday.
If you're interested in visiting a rural site with really good dark skies, we can recommend it.

In terms of observing, you can bring your own equipment or pay a little more to use Andrew's scopes and imaging equipment in his roll-off-roof observatory with warm room.
Andrew himself is an experienced imager and can give instruction and advice if needed. There are plenty of other scopes and binoculars scattered around the place too, so a chance to try a range of scopes.

The accommodation is set up for all-night sessions, there's a bunkroom with heavy curtains around each bed so you can sleep in in the morning, and they have what they call 'the Hub' where you can top up with tea/coffee on demand. There's also a twin bedded room if you're travelling as a couple.

Unfortunately, the nights we were there were wet and windy, so we didn't have a chance to experience the dark skies ourselves, but we had a great time.

http://theknowledgeobservatory.com/
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Re: Astrofarm in France - as featured on TV

Postby Aratus » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:33 pm

I'm sorry the weather didn't play ball with you on this occasion. I have gone to various places which are 'dark sky' and had a mixed time weatherwise. By definition the places with the darkest skies are those away from population centres. The reason people don't live there in great numbers is sometimes the weather! Not long ago I actually lived in a dark sky area for 4 years. The weather was the biggest problem. However once the weather does cooperate it is truly fantastic.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to General