Astronomy at Home!

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Astronomy at Home!

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:46 pm

Hi Gang,
At the grand old age of forty four I achieved my first step in the academic rung. In July of this year I was awarded a certificate of higher education in astronomy from John Moores University in Liverpool. This was all done by distance learning in front of my P.C. at home. I am now going to try and take the studies further by studying for a BSc in Astronomy from the Open University. Has anybody done anything similar? I'd like to hear!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

RE: Astronomy at Home!

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:46 pm

Hi jsc248, I have two Open University Certificates, One for a course on "the planets an introduction" and another course on "Introducing Astronomy"
sonia

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Sonia,
I have three! The Science foundation course, the Technology foundation course and Planetary Science and the Search for Life. So I have a start on the ladder and next year I am doing Oceanography and Earth and Life!
jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

Whats the search of life about? That sounds interesting.
sonia

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

Hi Sonia,
Basically the course is about how life formed on this planet and whether there are other planets were favourable conditions exist for life to form out there. You are correct though the course is very interesting!
jsc248.
jsc248

Postby sonia » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:03 pm

I think for now im going to leave it, with the courses i have now. As i think the courses ive done is everything i really want to know. As for the planets, you do rotation and orbit, missions, the atmosphere, interior, surface and history for all the planets including; comets, meteorites and the kuiper belt. And then for Introducing astronomy; the sun, planets, night sky (including planetsphere), observing stars, star birth and death, life beyond earth, galaxies, the universe.

Really everything you want to know.
sonia

Postby jsc248 » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:20 pm

Sounds great,
I may do this as part of the degree profile!
jsc248.
jsc248

Postby grahammogford » Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:36 pm

Hi folks,

I've just started my fourth distance learning course from Jodrell Bank which I've been enjoying enormously, even though they have been a pleasant challenge!

I'm planning to move on to do some modules from either John Moore's or UCL to get a CertHE in Astronomy then turn that into a degree as well via the OU.

If anyone else is thinking about doing this I'd recommend it - though you do need the virtue of patience when it comes to getting marks back from JB!

All the best to everyone,
looking forward to lots of interesting chats on this forum,
Regards,
Graham
grahammogford

Postby g4aqb » Sat Dec 10, 2005 12:43 am

Hi!

I completed an Open University Degree a while ago, took about 8 years to complete, but really enjoyed it! After doing the Science Foundation Course, I did a Second Level Course 'Matter in the Universe', really opened my eyes to what is out there in the cosmos, a great course! I still have all my notes and course units from the OU.

Steve
g4aqb

Postby damien » Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:16 am

Having individual University degrees in Geology, Climatology (and Teaching) - I would love to follow on with these on a planetary basis. Am toying with enrolling in the Masters program [url=http://astronomy.swin.edu.au/sao/]HERE[/url] - The course work I would be able to do, no probs - just a factor of time (Am already studying for a PhD in Climatology)
damien

Next

Return to General