Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2010 awards vodcast

A place to talk about the magazine's vodcast

Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2010 awards vodcast

Postby Admin » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:56 pm

The latest episode of the vodcast is out! As always remember to click the 720p HD button for best results.

This month Sky at Night Magazine's Will Gater travels to the Royal Observatory, Greenwich to report from the Astronomy Photographer of the Year awards 2010.

http://www.youtube.com/user/bbcskyatnightmag
Admin
Site Admin

RE: Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2010 awards vodcast

Postby philip pugh » Mon Oct 18, 2010 12:20 pm

TBH, I'm a bit cynical about these type of awards. They seem to favour deep sky shots taken with telescopes on expensive mounts and processed using tools that cost more than some equipment. This discourages people more equipmentally challenged from taking shots.

I know that having expensive equipment and processing tools doesn't guarantee a result but shots taken through binoculars using a camera 'phone wouldn't stand a hope.

Also, I spoke to another magazine years ago about double star shots and they just weren't interested in publishing them. Yet, they're a great target for small telescopes with compac t digital cameras and webcams.
philip pugh

Postby Graham Southorn » Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:53 pm

The competition is about more than honouring just deep-sky photos. There's:

* Earth & Space
* Our Solar System (planets, Moon, comets etc)
* Deep-Sky
* Young Astronomy Photographer of the Year

Plus special categories for 'People and space' pictures and 'Best newcomer'. The criteria for best newcomer included the fact that the photographer was using relatively cheap equipment and that they hadn't previously entered the competition.
Graham Southorn

Postby philip pugh » Tue Oct 19, 2010 10:00 am

[quote]ORIGINAL: skyed

The competition is about more than honouring just deep-sky photos. There's:

* Earth & Space
* Our Solar System (planets, Moon, comets etc)
* Deep-Sky
* Young Astronomy Photographer of the Year

Plus special categories for 'People and space' pictures and 'Best newcomer'. The criteria for best newcomer included the fact that the photographer was using relatively cheap equipment and that they hadn't previously entered the competition.

[/quote]

I was mentioning the genre of these types of award and well done for including categories that are aimed at the equipmentally challenged. I think adding a specific "low tech" category might be a good idea, where the limit is 6" aperture, webcam or compact digital camera and free or low cost processing software.

I think there's a lot that can be done with this sort of set-up and many of us are uncovering new ideas all the time. I have to admit that I strongly believed that astrophotography was only for those who had expensive equipment and, before the age of digital cameras, that was probably true.
philip pugh

Postby folk » Thu Nov 04, 2010 1:46 pm

The competition was superbly judged and had you seen the images Phil, and seen what kids as young as 10 were producing with point and shoot cameras, you'd probably not have made your statement. Star trail images in a forest cost nothing barring a camera, and a tripod and some time and effort to put the image together, and the "young imager" awards, one of which was taken from the back of a moving car with a £30 point and shoot hardly break the bank or require mounds of expensive equipment.

I for one heartily support this, much as it offers the same as the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year, in so much that people of all ages, all abilities and all walks of life, with a modicum of talent, sometimes a bit of luck... and an eye for beauty can take part

folk

Postby philip pugh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 2:36 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: NickH

The competition was superbly judged and had you seen the images Phil, and seen what kids as young as 10 were producing with point and shoot cameras, you'd probably not have made your statement. Star trail images in a forest cost nothing barring a camera, and a tripod and some time and effort to put the image together, and the "young imager" awards, one of which was taken from the back of a moving car with a £30 point and shoot hardly break the bank or require mounds of expensive equipment.

I for one heartily support this, much as it offers the same as the BBC Wildlife Photographer of the Year, in so much that people of all ages, all abilities and all walks of life, with a modicum of talent, sometimes a bit of luck... and an eye for beauty can take part

[/quote]

... in which case I'll take back my comments. I'm in favour of anything that encourages people to have a go using what they have, rather than bemoaning lack of funds.
philip pugh

Postby philip pugh » Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Just to clarify that my original comments were not aimed at S@N nor intended to cause any offence.

It is my (probably minority) opinion that [b]some[/b] of these contests may discourage those of more modest means from having a go. I also see astronomy as a collaborative hobby. Many of the photos I like are collaborations and don't we all make suggestions to help each other?
philip pugh

Postby brianb » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:06 pm

[quote]It is my (probably minority) opinion that some of these contests may discourage those of more modest means from having a go.[/quote]
If so it's only because the "persons of modest means" compare their images with the "state of the art" and don't bother entering.

brianb

Return to Sky At Night vodcast