astrophotography...

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

astrophotography...

Postby thenightwatchman » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:13 pm

what the hell is noise pollution in astrophotography terms!?!?
thenightwatchman

RE: astrophotography...

Postby Chanctonbury » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Noise is one half of 'signal to noise' ratio and describes the unwanted background of 'apparent light' that is captured when you take astro-photographs. The 'noise' is generated by the electronics within the camera.

I guess that you could also describe light pollution as' noise pollution' - this is the background fuzz of light that illuminates the night sky in the vicinity of cities, towns and villages and is caused by inefficient street lights, security lights and other similar light sources.

Both types of 'noise' have a detrimental effect on the quality of images but the latter type also effects visual astronomy.
Chanctonbury

RE: astrophotography...

Postby philip pugh » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:10 am

There are various techniques used to reduce noise. Try using Google on "light frame" and "dark frame". I find the Histrogram tool in many programs used to process digital images more helpful for the type of astrophotography that I do. Also Google "stacking frames".
philip pugh

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question