Astrophotography with a 60mm refractor & Canon AE-1 SLR

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Postby edhuff » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi Sky!

I have a 60mm refractor that gives me great views of Jupiter, Saturn, the moon, the sun
(with a Baader Filter) and other objects. I also own a Canon AE-1 SLR. I recently bought a T-Ring
and T-Adapter for the camera. While the Plossl 28mm eyepiece displays enough detail of planets,
when I use this eyepiece in conjunction with the T-Ring and T-Adapter, I'm not able to bring
Jupiter into focus. I must be missing something or I may need another piece of equipment. Does
anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!
edhuff

Re: Astrophotography with a 60mm refractor & Canon AE-1 SLR

Postby dave.b » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:52 pm

You probably need an extension tube to achieve focus. Shop around as there are some silly prices for very simple bits of metal work out there! The one I use with my 66mm Equinox is a 40mm long T2 extension tube made by Baader.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby edhuff » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:42 pm

Thanks Dave B.!
edhuff

Postby Aratus » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:20 pm

I agree that Baader extension tubes are one of the best. You can get a range of lengths for between £10 and £15. Next time you observe, pull out the camera, and keeping it in line, see how far you need to go before it gets in focus. That will give you some idea of the length required.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:40 pm

Try using the SLR with the T-ring and adaptor without the eyepiece. To do photography with an eyepiece you should use a compact digital camera.
How can I be one with the universe when we don't know what 96% of it is.

My website: http://www.philippughastronomer.com/

My blog: http://sungazer127mak.blogspot.com/

Photos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/philippughastronomer/
The Man with the Corrugated Iron Roof

Location: Wiltshire but can be just about anywhere up to 41 000 feet

Postby dave.b » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:05 am

That's not strictly true; go and take a look at the Baader Hyperion System chart. The Hyperion eye pieces have a thread under the rubber eye cup. By removing the eye cup you can attach an adapter to allow the mounting of T-thread accessories. It's perfectly able to hold an SLR. You just need your 'scope's focuser to be strong enough!

Some of the other eye piece manufacturers supply eye pieces with similar accessory attachment capabilities. Baader seen to have nailed the range and availability of the accessories though.

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question