Atlas and Hercules

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Atlas and Hercules

Postby Aratus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 5:34 pm

A waning gibbous moon was still pretty bright at around 11pm on the 18th Oct. Those 2 strongmen, Altas and Hercules, or at least their craters on the moon, were very prominent on the top right hand side of the moon. A favourable libration, or 'tipping' of the moon on that side showed them more 'face-on' than usual.
Along with the small crater inside Hercules, a closer look revealled the usual crater in Hercules' southern rim. Then I noticed what appeared to be a second crater on the left side of the rim. In fact it must be a large valley, or landslip. I've never noticed it before.
Atlas (the larger crater) shows 2 of its tiny central peaks, and possibly a rille going down from the centre to the rim.

The large 'bite' taken out at the top is the crater Endymion with all but its southern rim in darkness. A solitary mountain peak can be seen shining in the dark - well away from the edge of the sunlight
A few hours later the moon drifted across stars in the Hyades cluster, but I was in bed asleep by then!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Re: Atlas and Hercules

Postby andrewscomputers » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Hi Aratus very nice images I noticed that the moon is quite bright at the moment.I now is going to be closest to the earth on the 14th November.
Thks
Andy
andrewscomputers

Re: Atlas and Hercules

Postby Aratus » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:35 pm

It was noticeably brighter than usual for that phase. The moon never looks bigger (to me) when it is nearer to us, but the increased brightness can easily be noticed. The intensity of the colour of grass is a good indicator. Normally, to me, the lawn is always grey except at a full moon when a faint green is noticed. On this occasion the lawn was definitely green even though we were a couple of days past full moon.

October, November and December this year all have large full moons.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches