Switch to mobile style

Aurora tonight - worth it?

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Aurora tonight - worth it?

Postby voyager » Sun May 08, 2016 7:14 pm

Some major geomagnetic activity going on at mo' - good chance of auroral displays for tonight and tomorrow-night. For years I've wanted to see an aurora (it's near the top of my bucket list) but I've always been foiled by something. To make matters worse, I'm living in Warrington (long story) and thus reaching dark skies has proven hard work!

Thanks to the closure of the WCML, I cannot reach Penrith by train tonight, so a rental car from Manchester Airport is my only option - over £200 for 2 days, yikes! Given the short amount of darkness (23:00-01:00 UT), is it worth it? Alternatively, I could try tomorrow-night for just £30 (train + YHA). I'm not bothered about sharing a room with others, but I am worried that they won't let me out/back in at such a late time (or I could pay £74 to Travelodge - the gouging b******s!). Anyone else with a similar dilemma?
voyager

Re: Aurora tonight - worth it?

Postby Aratus » Sun May 08, 2016 7:40 pm

Geomagnetic activity is fairly high at the moment. The 'K' index suggests that northern scotland may well see something. To what extent it comes down further is so hard to predict. I've been disappointed so many times that I don't get excited anymore - but I'll be looking north later tonight. You never know.

Just bear in mind that the 'white nights' are getting stronger in the north now.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Astro Alerts