baader astro solar safety film, any experience?

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

baader astro solar safety film, any experience?

Postby mufalak » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:20 am

Hi all. Does anyone have an experience with baader astro solar safety film?
Thank you, Pat.
mufalak

RE: baader astro solar safety film, any experience?

Postby smidge » Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:23 am

Hello Pat,

I use a home made filter made from this, I find it is a cheap and easy method for viewing the sun in white light, showing sun spots on the disk. However it will not show any prominences.

Hope this helps

Ernie.
smidge

Postby gammalog » Tue Apr 11, 2006 2:06 pm

Hi Pat

I have seen some very nice sun-spot images that have been taken through the Baader Solar film, and its very cheap way of Solar viewing.

As it is a Mylar based film, be VERY careful that it doesn't get any pin-holes or splits in it, and that there's no chance of it blowing off the scope when in use.

Ernie is right in saying that you won't see any proms or flares, as these require the more complex (and expensive) Hydrogen Alpha (Ha) filters.

I have, just this morning, received a glass Thousand Oaks solar filter for my ED80. This functions in a very similar to manner to the Baader film, but is a bit more durable.

Dave

gammalog

Postby andrew short » Tue Apr 11, 2006 4:20 pm

Hi Pat,
I have used Baader astrosolar film in the past,but I've always been a little concerned about it's fragility.I purchased a ready made astrosolar filter for my old Nexstar 4 from David Hinds and promptly returned it after observing pinholes while holding it to a bright light.
Maybe I'm being a little paranoid about it as thousands of people use it all the time,but I feel safer projecting the Sun's image or using a more robust type such as the thousand oaks filter that Dave mentioned.
Of course ideally we'd all like to have Hydrogen alpha filters.The PST is definitely on my most wanted list.

Andrew.
andrew short

Postby pinter75 » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi,

I have used this stuff for a while, it is great for showing up sun spots, But as other members have said it is the type of thing you have to triple check before using. It is easy enough to make a holder for the film. I have removed the small center cap on my 80Gt's main lens cap. The film is sandwitched between 2 pieces of circular black mounting card.

Before I use it I always put it up to a very bright light (electric types - not the sun!) to look for any tiny pin holes in the film.

Here is a photo I took using it the other day.

[image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/albumtn.aspx/mid_865-9E158089644F4740BFB74F8B09633565.jpg[/image]
pinter75

Postby mufalak » Tue Apr 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Hi all.
Thanks for your valuable advices.
I will think about it as i am also paranoid about little holes and blindness.
Thanks again, Pat.
mufalak

Postby sftonkin » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:30 pm

I must have made about 15 filters from it since it came out. None has ever failed; one got scuffed (dropped and trodden into the gravel) to an extent that I thought I ought to replace it. It is very very good, it is far less fragile than people seem to think.

Now the pinhole myth: a few tiny pinholes that are only visible when the filter is held up to a very bright light will [b]not[/b] cause damage to your eyesight (do the maths if you think this is wrong). The problem with pinholes is that they [b]may[/b] be indicative of impending failure of a more serious nature. It is, of course, preferable to err on the side of caution than the other way, especially where something as valuable and irreplaceable as eyesight is concerned, but there is quite a lot of over-hyped scare-mongering to do with solar observing.
sftonkin

Postby 3rd rock » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 pm

I've used baader for ages and found it to be really quite good. sftonkin is right about it being tough and also about very tiny pinholes not being any problem.

Many reflectors have smallish holes in the tube cap (about 50mm or so) and I made a solar filter for that, reasoning that the sun would be so bright that the reduction in aperture (from 130mm) wouldn't reduce the image quality too much. Boy was I wrong. When I finally got round to making a full aperture filter, the image quality improvement (resolution) was striking. Also, with a full 130mm aperture baader filter you can [u]just[/u] start to see granularity in the suns surface, not much, but it is definitley there.....and you can magnify as high at the seeing will allow for sunspot viewing.

Thinking about the "seeing" in broad daylight was a new one for me !

Jon.
3rd rock

Postby andrew short » Tue Apr 11, 2006 10:10 pm

I'm sure you're right Stephen,but I'm rather fond of my eyesight and as you said,I think it pays to err on the side of caution sometimes,especially where viewing the Sun is concerned.
I had read that a few pinholes won't harm,but I'd still rather a more substantial filter,mind you after reading the comments here,maybe I'm being a little too cautious.

Andrew.
andrew short

Return to Equipment Advice