Best power pack for EQ6 mount please

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Best power pack for EQ6 mount please

Postby mckinnell » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:59 pm

Can any one please give me advice on which is the best power pack and leads to for the EQ6 mount, as, the one listed bt Rother Valley Optics is by definition due to being a trade name, a lot more money, so any alternatives that will be suitable and reliable overall please...........

Many grateful thanks and best regards to all.............Tom.......aka....McKinnell :) ;) 8-)
mckinnell

Re: Best power pack for EQ6 mount please

Postby Aratus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:43 pm

A lot depends on what circumstances you want to use it, and what other accessories you will be using at the same time.
As a rough guide something like a 7Ah fully sealed deep cycle battery should be suitable for most situations. You should be able to get one for under £20. You will need a mains charger for about £6. Then a suitable lead to fit the 12v socket on the mount. Since I know nothing about the socket, I couldn't quote a price. If it is standard 12v plug 5.5mm, then you can get them very cheaply. You may find you will have to buy the branded version to be sure it fits.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:52 pm

For a mains option, this place is good for accessories:

https://www.modernastronomy.com/shop/ac ... utput-psu/

I don't know the socket type/size either. You might want to phone them to confirm.

Regards

Graeme

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:58 pm

I couldn't believe they wanted another £30 for the power supply on top of the cost of the telescope!!!
All that money and then when you get it home, you can't use it!

Postby Aratus » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:20 pm

Many high end telescopes didn't/don't come with power adapters. It is left to the owner to decide on how it will be powered. So much depends on individual circumstances as to what might be needed.

However, new Lithium batteries take up a lot less space, and some of the newer telescopes have built in rechargable batteries - presumeably to take into account the problem you have outlined.

In the past I used a regulated 12v mains supply in the open air, https://www.firstlightoptics.com/power-accessories/nevada-ps-08-6a-8a-regulated-linear-power-supply.html but things can get dicey when the dew comes down. When you get a tingling sensation touching the tripod, you know things are not all they should be! :o I went over to 12v batteries after that. Now I'm under cover, I have the regulated 12v mains suppy again, but I also have a 70Ah leisure battery topped up with a solar panel. I use either or both depending on circumstances.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice