Best Telescope for a beginner

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Best Telescope for a beginner

Postby andytommo317 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:38 am

Hi I am in the market for a beginners telescope my budget is up to £400 I have been looking for one for about a month now I have narrowed it down to 2 - celestron nexstar 102 Slt or the celestron nexstar 127 Slt Mak - both are computerised , Or if anyone has any other ideas that would be brilliant if possible I would like to somehow take photos as well :?
andytommo317

Re: Best Telescope for a beginner

Postby Aratus » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:52 pm

Hi

They are both good telescopes. It depends on what you want to use it for. The 5" will give you a slightly better magnification for planets. The 4" refractor will have a smaller focal length, and would be better for photos. If it was me making the decision based on general use I would go for the 4" refractor which is a good size for a refractor. I'm sure others here will have their opinion, so keep your money in your pocket for a few days more!
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby andytommo317 » Sun Jan 24, 2016 9:40 am

Thanks for the reply someone has just thrown another scope into the mix and that is - celestron nexstar 4se ??
andytommo317

Postby Aratus » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:44 pm

I have an 8" SCT and I am very pleased with it, however I would be a bit wary of a small SCT. The Celestron Nexstar 4se is very similar to the 127 SLT, but even smaller in aperture. The central obstructions of these small SCTs in comparison to the aperture is significant.

In the end I don't think you will be disappointed with any of these telescopes, but if I had to choose, I would still go with the 4" refractor.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Supercooper » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:34 pm

Hello there,

Welcome to the fascinating hobby of amateur astronomy. You might be interested in reading this guide.

Google: "Advice-for-Beginners-Should-You-Get-a-Go-To-Telescope-Mount supercooper"

I also have other guides for the actual telescope selection.

I hope this has been useful.

Good luck with a go-to. :o)
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby ThePeltonian » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:52 pm

Hi,

I have a skywatcher 127 mak cass Supatrak - which recently upgraded to a GOTO by just changing the handset, This is my first scope after the easy setup of the scope the goto and tacking i dont have issues with - it finds jupiter ok and have tracked for an hour without it moving out of frame..

Easily see the 4 moons of jupiter plus banding, I need to get to some darker skies so can see some deep space objects, also looking forward to the 29th of this month when Saturn will be in good view.

I found the best thing to do is look around for reviews on scopes.. think about what you want to do with it and what you want to see... I can see myself adding a bigger more less portable scope possibly a 10" but the 127 is great for going camping :)

Stu
ThePeltonian

Return to Equipment Advice