big binoculars v binoviewer

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

big binoculars v binoviewer

Postby brian mac » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:50 pm

HI EVERYONE, JUST FOR SOMETHING TO DO ON A WARM EVENING I THOUGHT I WOULD TEST MY 25X100 STRATHSPAY BINOCULARS AGAINST MY VERY CHEAP BCF BINOMATE AT 25X ON MY TELESCOPE(EVOSTAR 120 REFRACTOR), ON THE MOON AND JUPITER, I THOUGHT THE BINO'S WOULD WIN HANDS DOWN, BECAUSE BINOVIEWERS DO LOSE A LITTLE LIGHT BUT TO MY SUPPRIZE THE BINOMATE AND SCOPE WON EASELY. SO NOW I WILL BE GOING FOR WILIAM OPTICS BINOVIEWER SET UP. THE DIFFERENCE IN SHARPNESS AND CONTRAST WAS VERY NOTICABLE. I WAS THINKING OF GETTING SOME 25-60 45DEGREE BINOCULARS BUT I NOW THINK I HAVE SAVED MYSELF A LOT OF CASH AS I CAN GET 5 DIFFERNT MAGNIFICATIONS WITH MY SET UP....[color=#66ff33][size=3]BRIAN[:D].[/size][/color]
brian mac

RE: big binoculars v binoviewer

Postby sftonkin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:20 am

Expected outcome. Big bins are not really suited to planetary or lunar obs. Binocular objectives are usually around f/4 to f/5 (I think the Strathspey is f/5) and the Evostar is about f/8 or a bit more? If you want a fairer comparison, pit your Evostar against a Miyauchi Saturn II (71mm f/8 binoc) [;)].

Where your big bins [i]ought[/i] to come into their own is on the faint fuzzy stuff, where the extra light will make a difference.
sftonkin

Postby brian mac » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:36 pm

Fair comment stephen, i suppose it depends on what you put up against what if you get what i mean!, if you put something up against the wrong thing you will get a false result, I never thought about anything else other than the moon and jupiter, so thanks for your comments and i will try and think a bit more about the wider picture when comparing certain equipment. I do think that 2 eyes is better than 1, at least for me!..thanks again [size=3]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

Postby sftonkin » Sat Jul 01, 2006 9:46 pm

I agree with all you say, especially the bit about two eyes being better than one.
sftonkin

Postby brian mac » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi stephen, you told me to compare with myauchi satern 11 but have seen the satern 111 they make me want to sell all my gear and get some of those, i have been looking at strathspay 45 degree big ones they are also on cloudy nights reviews. they don't seem to want to tell you the prices of myauchi, i no they they are not cheap. if you look at the review on the strathspey let us know what you think. the satern 111 is compared to a apo refractor127 with a denc binoviewer and the results are fascinating..[size=4]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

Postby athornett » Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:23 am

What an excellent thread. Thanks for putting this test online. Could I ask you to carry out your test again comparing the scope and binos on faint fuzzies for me?
Andy
athornett

Postby brian mac » Tue May 08, 2007 9:23 pm

My large binos are better on faint fuzzy's as the scope/bino set up losses a little light and the binos have a greater field of view, but the scope setup performed well on orion nebular, 25x and 40x is fab with binoculars on fuzzy's, binoviewing on a scope is fantastic on the planets. 200x with my refractor with 2 eyes is brill.....[size=5]BRIAN[/size]
brian mac

Return to First Light and Group Test