Binoculars 10 x 50

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Binoculars 10 x 50

Postby sjburn » Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:10 pm

I want to get some 10 x 50 Binoculars and tried to get Edition 3 to read the Group Tests. This back issue is no longer available though.

I quite like the look of the Celestron OptiView LPR. Can you tell me how this did ? What was the best buy? Any other feedback on what I ought to look out for would be good. I don't really want to go beyond £100.

Thanks

sjburn

RE: Binoculars 10 x 50

Postby les » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:13 pm

HI Rob,
The Helios Naturesport won the test(83%)Celestron OptiVeiw came 4th(79%).

Celestron Helios

Price.........................£88.......................£90
Feild of veiw................7 degs....................6.5degs
Weight.......................850g......................790g
Prisms........................BAK-7....................BAK-4

Hope this info isent to late to be useful.
Regards Les.
les

Postby bootfit » Mon Feb 20, 2006 9:20 pm

Rob, I've just ordered these:

http://www.telescopehouse.co.uk/page.aspx?pointerid=E905734EE1B142CD8BAFFD46E3523D27&thelang=001lngdef

They're getting great write ups on other forums and at £24.99 they're a steal!!

I'd write a report up on them, but I'm only starting out so won't be able to rate them properly - however they do have the better Bak-4 prisms.

Mine are coming tomorrow - cant wait!! [:D]
bootfit

Postby Sir John Maguire » Mon Feb 20, 2006 11:00 pm

They may be the same as the ones I bought at Lidl for £9.99!!
Pete
Sir John Maguire

Postby bootfit » Tue Feb 21, 2006 12:23 am

..and your verdict Peter???
bootfit

Postby les » Tue Feb 21, 2006 10:06 am

HI Bootfit,
I see what you mean.So far we've given the price a pair of bins ranging from nine pounds to ninty!!I think we may be confusing the poor man rather than helping him[&:].Lets hope we're not responsable for him taking up stamp collecting!![:o]
Regards and clear skies Les.
les

Postby Sir John Maguire » Tue Feb 21, 2006 3:56 pm

Hi bootfit, I am no expert on this but I have used the Lidl bins to view the moon and the image appears to be clear and sharp with a good view of some of the craters. Restriced viewing due to cloudy skies etc.
It would be interesting to compare a pair of cheap bins with a very expensive pair and if people could tell much difference.
I do know that with hi fi gear many people cant really tell much difference between something " high end" and something run of the mill.
I think that in some cases people believe that the more expensive items " must" be better. But is it always the case?
Peter
Sir John Maguire

Postby sftonkin » Tue Feb 21, 2006 6:10 pm

[quote]It would be interesting to compare a pair of cheap bins with a very expensive pair and if people could tell much difference.[/quote]

Believe me, you can. A little anecdote:
Last summer, I took a group of pupils to see an international cricket match; one of the pupils brought his new binoculars with him. As usually happens, these binoculars were passed around amongst the pupils, most of whom had never used binoculars at a sporting event and were impressed with the magnified image and wanted repeated looks through the binoculars. To ease the demand, I passed around my good (but by no means superb) quality 10x42. Every pupil immediately noticed the difference and it was obvious that none had used binoculars of this quality before. As one put it: “These are amazing, Mr Tonkin. They are even clearer than eyesight!” None of them wanted to look through the inferior binocualrs again. To save his pride, I had to point out that mine cost about 20 times what his did, and they probably weren't 20 times better.

To my mind, this illustrates at least 3 things:[ul]
[*] People will tend to be satisfied with poor quality unless they have something better with which to compare it. The consequence of this is that many instruments, which may have been rejected by effective quality control, will be acceptable to some customers, particularly if “the price is right”.
[*] Differences in optical quality can often be immediately apparent, even to “untrained” people, most of whom are capable of performing simple tests for common aberrations.
[*] Once you have used good quality binoculars it is difficult to be satisfied with less.
[/ul]

[quote]I think that in some cases people believe that the more expensive items " must" be better. But is it always the case?[/quote]

It's not always the case -- there is some very over-priced optical junk around. However, good optics do cost money and if something looks too good to be true, it usually is.
sftonkin

Postby tamarin » Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:40 pm

Hi

I'm trying to decide between getting the Helios Naturesport (£85) and the Helios Ultimate-HR (£120), I too haven't been able to read the group test. How did the Ultimate-HR size up in the review?

Thanks

[quote]ORIGINAL: Les

HI Rob,
The Helios Naturesport won the test(83%)Celestron OptiVeiw came 4th(79%).

Celestron               Helios

Price.........................£88.......................£90
Feild of veiw................7 degs....................6.5degs
Weight.......................850g......................790g
Prisms........................BAK-7....................BAK-4

Hope this info isent to late to be useful.
Regards Les.
[/quote]
tamarin

Return to First Light and Group Test