Switch to full style
Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries
Post a reply

book needed.....

Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:20 pm

As a newcomer can anyone recommend a book or guide that would help me locate the planets throughout the year?
thanks, Pete

RE: book needed.....

Fri Dec 30, 2005 3:10 pm

Hi pete, i recieved the new astronomer book as a gift a couple of years ago, it shows where the planets will be untill 2010, it also has a small planisphere that comes with it, a good begginners book i think, iv lost count on how many times iv looked at it, no doubt there will be an updated version available,its called, NEW ASTONOMER by CAROLE STOTT, published by DORLING KINDERSLEY , hope this helps.

Fri Dec 30, 2005 4:16 pm

col, many thanks for your book suggestion. Will try and get it.
Pete

Mon Jan 02, 2006 10:36 pm

Hi Petermartin5,
I won a book a while back called the Collins Pocket Guide to Stars and Planets by Wil Tirion and Ian Ridpath. I do not need the book but it is an excellent guide. If you want it send me your address and I'll send it to you.
jsc248.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 2:43 pm

Petermartin I wonder if your best bet to locate the planets may not be a book (which can't be updated) but to subscribe to a monthly publication like this magazine.

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:53 pm

Hi Andy, Yes I agree. There seem to be a few mags. about and I will certainly be buying one or the other.
Have a copy of Astronomy (usa) and noticed how much cheaper scopes etc, are in the USA!!
Pete
Post a reply