Broken focus on Coronado PST

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Broken focus on Coronado PST

Postby ToniMary » Thu May 12, 2016 4:03 pm

Hello,
Whilst observing the Mercury transit on Monday, one of our PSTs fell over in the wind and the focus has broken.
Does anyone have any experience with repairing this, can we do it ourselves or do we need to go to a professional? Otherwise, will we just need to replace it?
Thanks,
Toni
ToniMary

Re: Broken focus on Coronado PST

Postby Aratus » Thu May 12, 2016 10:43 pm

Do you mean the focus knob at the back? That could be replaced fairly easily. If you mean something more than that - that could be a problem.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby ToniMary » Thu May 12, 2016 10:52 pm

The focus know itself is fine, but - taking it through its whole range - the sun never comes into focus so we believe it's internal- though we know very little about the internal workings of the telescope!
ToniMary

Postby Aratus » Fri May 13, 2016 1:57 pm

It doesn't sound like it is something you can fix yourself. Possibly something internal has shifted and hopefully someone who understands the workings can put it all back in place. I think your first port of call is the supplier you got it from who should have a procedure for repairing it.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice