Calling podcast fans

A place to talk about the magazine's vodcast

RE: Calling podcast fans

Postby duine » Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:40 pm

You pays your money and takes your choice, I suppose. I'm a fan of iTunes because of its functionality, ease of use, and integration with a range of other products/services I use. I don't consider it remotely bloated (certainly not by modern standards). I'll grant that I was seriously f'ed off a few months back when the iTunes update installed Safari, but in my experience that's the exception rather than the rule with Apple stuff.

I love the image of a process 'scurrying off' to steal CPU cycles and RAM [:D]

Brian - illegal to distribute code without the source - you don't actually mean that do you? Never mind that it would make it virtually impossible to support ("which components are you running, which are disabled, and which have you rewritten?") - in many senses the source code is the IPR, which you wouldn't expect commercial publishers to put in the public domain. Obviously I'm not talking about Open Source here, which is an excellent model but (essentially) non-commercial...
duine

Postby brianb » Tue Jul 29, 2008 8:30 pm

[quote]Never mind that it would make it virtually impossible to support ("which components are you running, which are disabled, and which have you rewritten?")
[/quote]
Simple, you don't support modified versions.

[quote]in many senses the source code is the IPR, which you wouldn't expect commercial publishers to put in the public domain. [/quote]
What's the problem here? The IPR of a book is open for everyone to read (and potentially to distribute illegal copies of) irrespective of the copyright status - what's the difference with computer software?

In fact, since the representation of [i]any[/i] program or data in a computer is just a number, and it's not possible in any sane legal system to claim ownership of the result of a simple arithmetic operation, there may well be an argument that copyright should [i]not[/i] apply.
brianb

Postby reggie » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:43 pm

I have to say, when they've finished whining about it all, open source would be the way forward. This IPR rubbish is holding back most of the technological advances, people too busy protecting their IPR instead of making their rubbish work properly. No.1 reason for a version change? Cos they can't fix the poor code they wrote in the first place. At least if it were open source many voices might get to shout 'NO' at the same time when something is badly written before it gets commited into a full release version.

Back to itunes, I never had to download itunes to get the quicktime codec, so why all of a sudden was it bundled with quicktime, it wasn't for my benefit, it was so they could promote their new business model of selling over engineered, tackily advertised, poorly built mp3 players and then selling you the content to go on it, cos god only knows how I managed to put mp3s on my 20GB creative Zen mp3 player before i-tunes came along. Did you know that Apple paid Creative Labs quite a large some of money over IPR infringement of Creatives menu system on their mp3 players? So, as far as I am concerned it's par for the course with Cr*pple.
reggie

Postby stargazer22 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:00 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Reggie

Because I like winamp and won't have software foisted on me just because I need a codec to see/hear someones content. And I won't have cr*pola running in the background checking whether its up to date on the net for that crummy software I didn't ask for.

[rant]
There are too many companies out there that see it as their right to do this kind of thing, with half-baked software that slows PCs down so it can do it's thing (which usually isn't a great deal). They'll sit in the system tray, make your PC take an extra 30seconds (per boot) to become responsive enough to use while they all scurry off stealing processes, ram, HDD space, internet bandwidth.
[/rant]
[/quote]

wow Reggie!

I could have written that!

agree 100%

[rant]
can you plase just leave me alone with Winamp, MP3 and CDex please!
what's all this M4a and DRM nonesense!
[/rant]

stargazer22

Postby rosanella » Mon May 18, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm a great fan of podcasts as I can learn a lot whilst doing other things. My mp3 player is full of Atronomy related podcasts and others.
The Star @ Night podcasts are in mp4 format, from what I saw, but is there a way to convert the mp4 files to mp3 files?

...sorry ... forget that...I've just noticed that downloads for the mp3 files. Do!!! I got up too early this morning [:D]
rosanella

Re: Calling podcast fans

Postby robertwelain » Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:09 pm

Bring the vodcasts back, after that you'll get my review!
robertwelain

Previous

Return to Sky At Night vodcast