Celestron 6se and barlow lenses.

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Celestron 6se and barlow lenses.

Postby Royston » Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:52 am

Hi all need a little help I've just got a new celestron 6se for Christmas I've got a 125.mm
10mm, 20mn, sky watcher pössl lenses and the 25mm that come with the scope. I'm new
To Astronomy but my dad has been an amateur astronomer for 40 years and has said I should
Get myself a barlow lens but im not sure what to get a x2 or a x3. Any feed back on the telescope
And the lens issue would be much appreciated.
Royston

Re: Celestron 6se and barlow lenses.

Postby dave.b » Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:55 pm

There's not much point, as a 10mm EP will already produce a small, 1mm, exit pupil with your 'scopes F/10 design. At a push you could could go for an even smaller exit pupil, say 0.8mm with an 8mm EP, but beyond that will be unusable - trust me I've tried!. Besides, unless you spend enough to buy at least an ED barlow you'd only be adding optical distortions and loosing light. Much better to start to upgrade your EP's from the relatively basic Plossl design to good quality wide field designs. The other option to consider is a zoom EP, for which most are in the 8-24mm range.

I've come round to the conclusion that the best application for a Barlow is to increase the focal length (i.e. image scale) for use with a camera for planetary imaging.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Royston » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 am

Thanks for the advice Dave B. It can get quite confusing on the web as to what's best for Celestron 6se. The advice is much appreciated and im just looking forward to sum nice clear sky's in the coming months. Any more advice you have on the scope would be welcome as i am quite new to all this.

Regards Royston.
Royston

Postby dave.b » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:27 pm

We all wish for clear skies!

My best advice to you is just to get out and use it! Learn it's controls, especially the setting up and alignment, and learn your way around the sky.

Dave B.
dave.b

Postby Gfamily2 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:44 pm

Hmm, I quite often prefer to use a Barlow with a longer focal length Eyepiece, than a shorter fl EP - the reason being that the eye lens and eye relief of the 20mm EP will both be larger than you would have with the 10mm EP, so (in my experience) it's simply easier and more comfortable to use.

That said, I probably would suggest the same as Dave b and consider replacing upgrading to better and wider angle eyepieces.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Royston » Thu Feb 11, 2016 4:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm getting along well with the scope now i have had some time to get going. It's a great bit of kit and would recommend. I did get a Astro 2.5 barlow in the end recommended by a friend and it works very well.

Regards Royston.
Royston

Postby ThePeltonian » Thu Feb 11, 2016 11:12 pm

Fabulous night tonight in Barnsley.. great shots of the crescent moon just waiting for another glimpse of Jupiter.. saw it the other night with all moons.. looked awesome even if it was through my 127 maksutov lol
ThePeltonian

Return to Equipment Advice