Celestron at US prices !!

Celestron at US prices !!

Postby omegabri » Mon May 07, 2007 2:20 am

[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Hi all….[/size][/color][/font]
[size=3][font=arial][color=#99ffff] [/color][/font][/size]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Just a quick email to offer a service !! [;)][/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]I’ve just received my Celestron Dual Axis motors for my C6-N off a contact I have in the US. I saved £30 - £40 on UK retail prices !! [/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]I could retail the C6-N motors at around £105 (plus postage on top of around £10) via Ebay. Let me know if anyone wants a specific Celestron motor, or CCD Nexstar and I’ll get a price for you !![/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Delivery took about 2 ½ weeks from it being ordered direct from Celestron.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]I could probably get scopes too, but not sure what delivery costs would be with the weight etc….but I could find out.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Drop me an email if you want me to look into anything for you[/size][/color][/font]
[email=brian@gort.wanadoo.co.uk][u][font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]brian@gort.wanadoo.co.uk[/size][/color][/font][/u][/email]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Kind regards guys…[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#99ffff][size=3]Brian[/size][/color][/font]
omegabri

RE: Celestron at US prices !!

Postby dangerous_dave » Tue May 08, 2007 1:40 am

Hi Brian, I trust it doesn't involve denying HM Customs and Excise import duty by marking the parcel as a gift. [;)]

Yes, I have wondered - given the current exchange rate - why more people aren't importing gear direct from the States instead of buying from UK dealers.
dangerous_dave

Postby gneiss » Wed May 09, 2007 1:16 am

In accepting goods marked to defraud customs as [i]buyer[/i] you would be commiting a criminal offence....

That aside, any warrenty offered by Celestron would not be transferable so it would be interesting to hear how such issues would be handled.

The reason more people don't do it is because Meade, Celestron and most other major manufactures DO NOT sell direct to the UK. They have authorised dealers who are there to offer the service and after sales care that they would want for their customers.
gneiss

Postby omegabri » Wed May 09, 2007 11:46 pm

[color=#99ffff]Looks like this may have been taken the wrong way.......I only offered as I've just bought a dual axis motor for £60 less than the UK price from a contact that I've been getting other items from, and thought "why not offer the discounts to other members of the forum"[/color]
[color=#99ffff][/color]
[color=#99ffff]Sorry if this has offended anyone.........and I retract the offer (as not to offend any further !!)[/color]
[color=#99ffff][/color]
[color=#99ffff]Kind regards folks !![/color]
omegabri

Postby omegabri » Sat May 12, 2007 2:03 am

[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Gneiss[/size][/color][/font]
[size=3][font=arial][color=#ccffff] [/color][/font][/size]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Your “concern” about me offering fellow astronomers the chance to save them selves some of their hard earned cash now becomes a little clearer, as I notice you actually have a UK outlet for scopes and accessories (which I assume is all above board regarding customs and inland revenue)[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]I also noticed that your company contact address is a domestic address, your company name is not registered anywhere and your contact telephone number is simply a mobile – so how different are you and I in what we’re offering, apart from I was willing to pass over the reduced cost that I could buy the items at direct from the US, and NOT sell at full UK prices which you seem to be selling at !?!?!? [/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]I would like to reiterate that I was simply offering items on a ‘request to purchase’ basis, probably via an outlet such as Ebay, and vented through a friend in the US, who has facilitated recently in some of my purchases. I had no pretence to become a major UK outlet for Celestron, or Meade…..just someone offering a hand-out to other members of the forum.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Good luck with your enterprise Gneiss…..[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Regards…[/size][/color][/font]
omegabri

Postby gneiss » Sat May 12, 2007 7:50 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: Omegabri

[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Gneiss[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Your “concern” about me offering fellow astronomers the chance to save them selves some of their hard earned cash now becomes a little clearer, as I notice you actually have a UK outlet for scopes and accessories (which I assume is all above board regarding customs and inland revenue)[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]I also noticed that your company contact address is a domestic address, your company name is not registered anywhere and your contact telephone number is simply a mobile – so how different are you and I in what we’re offering, apart from I was willing to pass over the reduced cost that I could buy the items at direct from the US, and NOT sell at full UK prices which you seem to be selling at !?!?!? [/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]I would like to reiterate that I was simply offering items on a ‘request to purchase’ basis, probably via an outlet such as Ebay, and vented through a friend in the US, who has facilitated recently in some of my purchases. I had no pretence to become a major UK outlet for Celestron, or Meade…..just someone offering a hand-out to other members of the forum.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Good luck with your enterprise Gneiss…..[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ccffff][size=3]Regards…[/size][/color][/font]

[/quote]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff]For your information:[/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff]Like thousands of other retail outlets in the UK we are registered as sole traders with the inland revenue.[/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][/color][/font]
[color=#ffffff][font=arial]As stated on the website, we are [i]predominantly[/i] an online retailer and the address listed on the site is for contact/billing purposes as required by law. The phone number listed on the site is available [size=2]8am - Midnight, 7 Days a week, the only day it is not available being Christmas day - and guess what, we also have a life outside the business. [/size][/font][/color]

[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2]As authorised Celestron dealers we obtain our products through official channels. We are therefore able to offer our customers the full protection of the any applicable warranties offered by Celestron. We also have to fully comply with the distance selling regulations, as well as any additional protection demanded by the credit card companies.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2][/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2]We also have to pay full duties where required and all profits are subject to UK income tax and NI etc.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2]Contrast; You are offering to sell scopes and equipment that you buy off a friend, which would make them third hand and without warranty - the original warranty being void.[/size][/color][/font]

[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2]Whether you were paying the full duty on these goods would be a matter for customs and excise to decide. As I stated earlier, any buyer who knowingly purchased equipment on which the the full duty had not been payed would be committing a criminal offence.[/size][/color][/font]
[font=arial][color=#ffffff][size=2]Finally failure to declare any profits made to the inland revenue would be tax evasion, assuming you aren't planning to do this for charity.....[/size][/color][/font]
gneiss

Return to Accessories