Celestron CGX First Light

Celestron CGX First Light

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:39 am

Well the Celestron Evolution wireless system didn't work so I sent it back and swapped it for a CGX instead! Last night was first light after a few practice runs in the front room! I used a red light on a nearby chimney to set up the finder scope and get focus. There were some clouds about so I started a two star alignment on the hand controller using Vega and Altair. Even with just those in the model, the scope accurately moved to double stars Alberio and then Rasalgethi right in the middle of the view. I moved back to Mars and had to jog the direction slightly to see it. Then slewed to M13 and M92, couldn't see M51 so checked alignment on Mizar/Alcor which was ok, same with M101 so probably a Gillingham light pollution limitation problem! The clouds had cleared in the East so I slewed to M31, it missed the target but with a bit of a jog there it was! Back round to Mars again via M15 and M2.

Well pleased with the new toy! The SCT is quality and the CGX mount is a great piece of engineering. I need to get some firm level ground to put it on and I need to get some more practice in aligning it more accurately. Tracking on an object instead of nudging the mount to stay on target is brilliant! Not too sure I still think the same as I used to think with respect to learning the sky with a manual mount! The goto mount enables you to learn the sky more quickly, I would have struggled to peer at so many individual objects with the dobsonium and I was only out for a couple of hours! The main bonus though is the tracking function allowing me to extend the hobby into astro photography which I'm looking forward to doing.

Re: Celestron CGX First Light

Postby dave.b » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:19 pm

You need to have calibration stars on either side of the meridian for it to have a fairly accurate all sky model. After calibrating with two stars add two more calibration stars, which you should find that it selects from the other side of the meridian to the first two, unless of course you overrode it's suggestions.
dave.b

Postby Graeme1858 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 9:46 pm

Cheers for that Dave. I've had the new scope for a week, a week of cloudy nights! So yeah I've practised aligning it as you describe but you know how it is, first time out, you just want to look at stuff! And yes I did override the suggested stars because of the clouds. Also, after levelling the tripod and putting the mount and the tube on top one of the legs sunk into the grass so I had to lift it up, put a hard base under it and re-level, so that didn't help! I'll fine tune the set up process till it's bang on and I'll do it with a proper full model next time!

Have you got a CGX?

Postby dave.b » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:03 pm

I've got an AVX. Same controller though.

During alignment, the handset displays an E or W in the top right of the display to show you which side of the meridian it's working on. You can skip down its list of suggested alignment stars without it changing sides. If you want to force it to change sides one of the handset buttons will do it, from memory is on the lower LHS of the keypad, but check your manual as I don't recall exactly which one it is.
dave.b

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:00 pm

Very clear night tonight so I set up and aligned on Vega and Dubhe then added 4 additional calibration stars. The mount was spot on finding Mars, Saturn and Andromeda bang in the centre of the eye piece and stayed on target. I started the hand controller tour, M81 was probably the lowest magnitude object I could see. Well pleased!

Postby dave.b » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:05 pm

Glad to hear you've got your mount working reasonably well :-)
dave.b

Postby Aratus » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:47 pm

I do think the GOTO mount is the most useful telescopic invention of the last 30 years. The old 'star hopping' technique was fine when it worked, but when it didn't, it was a great time waster. I recall spending valuable minutes trying to find an object with cloud rising in the opposite direction, only to have to pack up without seeing what I was looking for.

I occasionally do a 'marathon', and bring out a list of 20 or 30 objects to view. Easy to do in an hour or so of observing with a GOTO. Dictating notes to an old dictaphone means I don't use up observing time writing up the log either. I predict you'll rapidly fill up your log book from now on!

Concrete is better than grass to keep your alignment. Not so good if you drop an eyepeice though :o
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:13 am

Aratus wrote:I do think the GOTO mount is the most useful telescopic invention of the last 30 years.

As an ex DOB user, I have to agree!

We're moving soon to a place away from the worst of the Medway Towns light pollution and with a brick built patio and mount stability!

The dictaphone idea is a good one.

Regards

Graeme

Postby Aratus » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:28 pm

Graeme1858 wrote:
Aratus wrote:
The dictaphone idea is a good one.

Regards

Graeme

The one I use I bought in 1995, and uses little tapes!!! :oops: Of course there are digital alternatives today. :) I would always encourage observers to keep a log. Some kind of voice recorder means you can note features, times and other events without needing a light. It makes it so much easier to write up a log of the session afterwards. I have a log going back to 1971, and I do treasure the memories it brings back when I read them now. When it comes to memory today, I can do with all the help I can get. :D
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Graeme1858 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:29 pm

1971! :o

Next

Return to Telescopic Observing