Celestron Nexstar130SLT - Alternative mount?

Got a beginners' question? No matter how elementary, our friendly forum community and magazine writers will answer it.

Celestron Nexstar130SLT - Alternative mount?

Postby bexinthecity » Thu Nov 26, 2015 3:38 pm

Hi, I have a Celestron NexStar 130SLT Reflector on a GOTO pro mount but I have several problems with this mount - one is that I can never get it to do a 3 star alignment - it constantly says alignment failed) and secondly I hate the automatic mount - I would rather point my telescope at a space in the sky and look through - is there an alternative mount I can get that is not computerised or one that can allow me to slew to where I want the scope to point?

Thanks.
bexinthecity

Re: Celestron Nexstar130SLT - Alternative mount?

Postby dave.b » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:42 pm

Well you could get a basic alt-az mount that has a dove tail clamp on it. Celestron do one, for example. BUT since you have a Newtonian scope the eye piece will be far from where the alt-az controls will be.

You might consider a manual equatorial mount, but they are a while new challenge to master. If you are interested I have an as new Celestron CG4 mount for sale - it is unused for a reason!

As for what you have, I'm not sure what you mean by GOTO Pro mount. The Celestron SLT range use a light-weight single arm alt-az mount. Reasons for alignment error are the wrong date (it's in month / day / year format), or a significant error in the location (try the city database as getting a location within a 100ml should work). Another gotcha is movement in the mount as the telescope slews; make sure the bolts that fix the tripod legs to the mount are fairly tight.

Hope that helps
Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Ask a silly (astronomy) question