Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 or Celestron First Scope 76mm

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 or Celestron First Scope 76mm

Postby mrsgirl » Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:44 pm

I have recently became interested in astronomy and finally want to look at the night sky. I have decided on one of these two items. I am not wanting to spend a fortune and then realise it's not for me. If I bought the binoculars I would probably need a tripod also.

I don't know a lot about binoculars or telescopes and just want to make the right purchase. If I could I would just use my eyes but I wear glasses and cannot see the night sky clearly at the best of times.

Any help would be appreciated.
mrsgirl

Re: Celestron SkyMaster 15x70 or Celestron First Scope 76mm

Postby Gfamily2 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:18 pm

Tough question.
The binoculars are good; I had a pair (until the tripod they were on collapsed), though they are fairly heavy so benefit from some support for extended use. If you have a tripod, that'll work well for observing objects near the horizon - for higher viewing, it's easier to get a reclining deckchair or even a camping mat and let the weight go through your head. The views will be good for star fields - particularly if you can use them in dark sky locations.

We bought a First Scope for our niece; the field of view is smaller , but you'll get better magnification for looking at the planets - you should easily see the cloud bands of Jupiter and the rings of Saturn. If you enjoy the hobby and want to go further, you can start to get alternative eyepieces that you can continue to use with your next scope.

At the risk of sounding like a stuck record (see my other posts), my take home message would be to find out if you have a local astronomy society that does observing sessions before you buy anything. You can get hands-on experience with other people's equipment and see what gives you the more satisfaction.
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Postby Supercooper » Sun Sep 18, 2016 11:54 pm

Personally (Having looked through a Firstscope) I wouldn't give them desk-room.

The problem is that they have spherical mirrors and a very fast f4 optical system. So they produce awful images at anything above the 30x or so magnification they come with. Detail on the planets? Forget it! It's a shame that these are all made by ther same company, so shopping around doesn't help. The Skywatcher / Celestron / National Catastrophic are all the same tat and give images Newton would have been disappointed with.

Better to save a little more and invest your money in a Parabolic telescope. SkyWatcher make them in sizes from 114mm so good images and better build quality are available in a small package.

For more information please visit my telescope help website - Link below. You'll have a better idea of what you need when you go shopping and may find you can get much better equipment than you thought for very little if you also have a look at my thread called 'Astronomy doesn't have to be expensive'.

Here > astronomy-doesn-t-have-to-be-expensive-t128788.html

Cheers and best of luck making a choice. If you need any more advice ask away :o)

Barry Cooper
________________________________________________________________________________________
For My FREE Telescope Help Website: http://supercooper.jimdo.com/

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby mrsgirl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 7:38 am

Thanks for the comments. I do have an astronomy society locally but their location for viewing the skies is further away and I don't drive but hopefully once I start going I might be able to get a lift. I shall also check out the link, all help is appreciated.
mrsgirl

Postby Supercooper » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:48 am

I have created an aproximation of the difference between Spherically figured and Parabolic views, both showing Jupiter, its moons and a double star just above.

I hope this is helpful in making your choice.

It might also be prudent to point out that this only applies to Reflector telescopes, refractors do not have this problem. So if you decide to get a refractor you don't have to wonder if you have a 'parabolic' image.

Barry
Attachments
JupiterSpher.jpg
Spherical image
JupiterSpher.jpg (27.85 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
JupiterPSmall.jpg
Parabolic image
JupiterPSmall.jpg (27.64 KiB) Viewed 3652 times
________________________________________________________________________________________

Using fab Helios f8 150mm Achromatic Refractor on SkyWatcher EQ5 - enjoing the views!
Supercooper

Postby mrsgirl » Mon Sep 19, 2016 12:30 pm

I cannot believe how clear the second photo is. I didn't actually think you could get such a clear image of Jupiter, really amazing! I had a quick glance at your page but I think I might need to look at it more thoroughly. Choosing a telescope can be pretty daunting for a beginner and I will be gathering more information before I make a purchase.
mrsgirl

Postby Supercooper » Mon Sep 19, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi again,

Well, don't forget there's no need to rush into anything. Have a good read, do your research and ask as many questions as you like.

This forum isn't the busiest, there seems to be just a handful of experienced regular contributors (we seem to get on - mostly) but we all try to help as much as we can with our combined experience. Don't go thinking that we'll get fed up of answering your questions - We will help for as long as it takes and will be happy only when you are. ;o)

Speaking for myself: My first three telescopes (and my first pair of binoculars) were rubbish - So, I for one, know the mistakes you could make and wouldn't like to see that happen. I didn't really turn a corner, equipment wise, until 1978 when I got myself a second hand 1960s AE Instruments 6" f7 Newtonian on EQ. Then, the whole world of amateur astronomy opened up and I was finally able to see the things I'd read about.

Cheers, Barry ;o)

Supercooper

Postby Aratus » Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:35 pm

I have a pair of Celestron Skymaster 15x70 binoculars, and they are pretty good for seeing the brighter nebulae, Andromeda Galaxy and countless star clusters, and little asterisms. A good number of double stars can be split with them too. If there are any comets about, the binoculars are the first thing I use to find them. There is a tripod fitting, but I've never use it. Elbows and various perches around the garden seem to suffice! You can add a tripod later if you wanted to. The big advantage of binoculars is that they can be used during the day for terrestrial observing. The downside is obvious, I think. 15x is not a big enough magnification for planets, although the moon looks pretty good for starting out. (You would be able to see Jupiter's moons though)

As others have hinted at, with the 'first scope' you are getting what you pay for it, which isn't very much. :(
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby mrsgirl » Tue Sep 20, 2016 4:25 pm

Thank you to everyone who answered my post. It's obviously great taking advice from people who have been doing this for years. Was going to go for the binoculars but have managed to purchase a Celestron Power Seeker 80EQ, brand new (unwanted gift) for £50. Thanks to Barry for your website as I found it very informative and my new telescope has the minimum specs that you recommended. It wasn't an expensive purchase so it will give me an idea of what a telescope can do and what I would want in the future. Only downside is that it's my Christmas present so I've been told I have to wait until December.
mrsgirl

Postby Gfamily2 » Tue Sep 20, 2016 9:02 pm

mrsgirl wrote:Thank you to everyone who answered my post. It's obviously great taking advice from people who have been doing this for years. Was going to go for the binoculars but have managed to purchase a Celestron Power Seeker 80EQ, brand new (unwanted gift) for £50. Thanks to Barry for your website as I found it very informative and my new telescope has the minimum specs that you recommended. It wasn't an expensive purchase so it will give me an idea of what a telescope can do and what I would want in the future. Only downside is that it's my Christmas present so I've been told I have to wait until December.

Best get yourself a pair of binoculars to see you through 'til then. :)
Scopes: Meade 8" SCT, Skywatcher 127mm Mak, Raffle winner of SW ST80
For imaging: Pentax K5, Asda webcam, Star Adventurer (new toy)
For companionship: Mid Cheshire Astronomical Group.
(Not a moderator)
Gfamily2

Next

Return to Equipment Advice