Cern Visit.

A place to hang out and chat about astronomy

Cern Visit.

Postby gyro » Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:36 pm

I've just returned from a thoroughly enjoyable trip to Cern and Geneva.
I organised the trip for myself and a couple of friends and it couldn't have been easier. The Cern visitor service are excellent and quick. We were added to a mixed group to make up the numbers but such as an Astronomy club can book as a single group.
We were shown round by Bill Murray, a physicist with the Rutherford Institute, working on the Atlas detector.
Cern isn't far from the airport so we stayed between the two because our Hotel ran shuttle buses to them both.
The Hotel was first class but cheaper booked through an agency.
Public transprt (trams) into Geneva is superb, quick and free to visitors.

http://public-old.web.cern.ch/public-old/Content/Chapters/VisitCERN/VisitCERN-en.html

http://www.nh-hotels.com/nh/en/hotels/switzerland/geneva/nh-geneva-airport.html?action=search
gyro

RE: ern Visit.

Postby lancashire astroguy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:20 pm

I'm glad you enjoyed your visit. I take a group of my lower sixth form physics students to CERN each July and we have always had a good time. A few years ago we even got taken down the elevator to the tunnel where we got to see the Atlas detector - talk about physics on a massive scale! Sadly, this isn't possible any more now the LHC is operational, but last summer we still got a good view vertically down the access tunnel to the LHC hundreds of feet below. We had a tour around one of the feeder accelerators too.

Your right about public transport in Geneva - puts the UK to shame.

James
lancashire astroguy

RE: Cern Visit.

Postby gyro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:26 pm

James,
For the next 12 to 18 months they are only going to run the LHC at a third to half 'tv' capability and if everything is stable will re-introduce public visits to the actual detectors.
I will definitely go back for that.
gyro

RE: Cern Visit.

Postby ovenboy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Im going with the Monmouth Astro Society in September, I cant wait.
Thanks for posting and building my anticipation Gyro :)
ovenboy

Return to General