cgem mount info

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

cgem mount info

Postby Mcconnach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:30 pm

hi im planning on upgrading my mount to a celestron cgem does any1 know if the celestron nexstar 8 ota will fit this mount
thanks
Mcconnach

RE: cgem mount info

Postby brianb » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:03 pm

I think you'll need either a Losmandy to Vixen dovetail adapter plate or to change the dovetail plate on the tube to the Losmandy type.

The Skywatcher NEQ6 is very similar in size, weight & performance to the CGEM and comes with both Vixen and Losmandy saddles.

brianb

Postby Mcconnach » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:20 pm

thanks brian looks like i have some reserch to do before i can afford to any way. i just really want a decent mount for doing some astrophotography with
Mcconnach

Postby dave.b » Fri Mar 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Well apart from the fact that the adapter hardware is quite expensive - why oh why Celestron didn't design the CGEM with a dual saddle is anybody's guess - you also need to consider that the dovetail that is fixed on the SE8 tube is 90 degrees round from where you'd want it on an equatorial mount. At best the focuser knob will be in an awkward place, but at worst you may find that rotating the star diagonal through 90 degrees causes it to foul on the focuser knob. The only solution to this is to remove the dovetail from the tube and use tube rings to position the tube in the right orientation on the mount. Tube rings are not cheap and it may be cheaper to combine the tube rings with a Losmandy dovetail plate and dispense with the Losmandy to Vixen/Synta dovetail adaptor or saddle replacement.

Check out the ADM and Altair Astro mounting hardware.

Let me know how you get on, because I have been wrestling with this problem for a while now.

Dave B.
dave.b

Return to Equipment Advice