Changing file format. wmv...

A place for general chat about Sky at Night Magazine

Changing file format. wmv...

Postby Richard.Bennett » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:26 am

Have read your article and others on planetary photography. Downloaded Registax but it will not recognise wmv files of my short video of Jupiter. These are recorded in wmv there is no choice on my Olympus V170 compact - a camera excellent otherwise.
Can any one recommend another programme using this format, or sugget a conversion file (free or reasonable cost) which will not give me toolbars, tell me my computer disc is full or needs cleaning etc, so that the computer is so busy with all this rubbish that it grinds to a halt. (I know the disc is not full etc as it is a new refurb one virtually empty). Any honest programmes please, or is there an alternative to Registax you could recommend? Thanks
Richard.Bennett

Re: Changing file format. wmv...

Postby dave.b » Fri May 09, 2014 10:48 pm

Unfortunately this isn't easy as both wmv and avi file formats are containers for many video data formats (or encodings). A simple conversion will change the container but not the video encoding and this can mean that Registax will still refuse to open the file.

If you want to give it a go than have a look at virtualdub, which is free or winavi which is not. Or have a look for a frame stacker that can directly read wmv files.

Let us know how you get on.

Regards
Dave B.
dave.b

Return to General