[Wanted] Cheap eyepieces

[Wanted] Cheap eyepieces

Postby ryandsimmons » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:30 pm

Hi,

I'm looking for some cheap eyepieces to tide me over until I have a bit of disposable income, I have a 20mm and a 10mm for my Celestron 130EQ reflector but I want something smaller for more maginifaction for Saturn etc. 4 or 6 mm I suppose. or a barlow lens.

As such if anyone has some old tat lying around to sell to a beginner who just bought their first scope please let me know.

Many thanks

Ryan

Edit: Apologies, I have posted this as well in teh Eyepiece section. If this is bad form please let me know. I posted this first then saw [wanted] posts in that section as well.
ryandsimmons

RE: [Wanted] Cheap eyepieces

Postby davpknid » Fri Apr 24, 2009 8:53 pm

Hi,

I posses a celestron 6mm eyepeice that i don't use much
how much are you willing to spend??

David
davpknid

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:43 pm

Hi Ryan. I have to say that not too many people here like or can effectively use either a 4mm or 6mm EP. The exit pupil is just way too small for the average person. Your best bet is to buy a 2X-3X Barlow.

You could also invest in an EP kit from Celestron.Meade,Zhumell..........................

Nice selection of EP's (including 4-6mm) and very reasonably priced. They will tide you over.

I'd advise on an EP kit cuz you get a nice selection of EP's (4mm-32mm) +2x barlow.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh and filters including a Moon filter (Moon filters are GREAT).
lukeskywatcher

Postby tooth_dr » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:16 pm

Buy a barlow, I got two meade ones from ebay - 2x and 3x - for something like £60 delivered, much more usable than 4mm or 6mm EPs. For example, if you ever get a webcam then these can be used along with it, whereas those EPs will see very little use.

You should be able to even get a cheap Skywatcher 2x Barlow (one that comes with most SW telescopes) for very little second hand, although if you go for a 2x barlow you'll be doubling up on 10mm.
tooth_dr

Postby lukeskywatcher » Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:33 pm

[i][b]although if you go for a 2x barlow you'll be doubling up on 10mm.

[/b][/i]Yes for the 20mm.......................but the 10mm+2X barlow = 5mm.

I think a 3X would be a better investment if your scope can deal with it because a 20mm EP would = 7mm and a 10mm EP would = 3mm.

So you would effectively have a 3mm,7mm,10mm and a 20mm.

2X would be a waste of cash.
lukeskywatcher

Return to Wanted