Childs first scope.

Ask your fellow astronomers to solve your telescope queries

Childs first scope.

Postby Abg0201 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:31 am

Hi all, help please!
Although I've had a passing interest in astronomy, I've never been serious about it so have 0 knowledge to help my son. He is 10 and is expressing a keen interest in the subject and I would like to nurture this in the form of a telescope for star gazing this Christmas. I'm keen to get something that will support him, and not get him Argos crap that will fail and he'll loose interest, but as a total noob I'm getting very confused with the options.
I'm looking to spend about £100, will a scope of this cost allow him to see near earth objects in detail?
Does anyone have any surgestions re brand / models that would be suitable?
Any pit falls I should avoid?
Any help would be appreciated!
Andy.
Abg0201

Re: Childs first scope.

Postby Aratus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello!

There are a lot of options, but often they are different ways of doing the same thing. I would concentrate on getting the best telescope tube you can without paying for fancy mounts and computerisation. The Celestron AstroMaster 70AZ is a 70mm refractor which is a decent size for a beginner. It would be good for the moon and planets. It will show lots of double stars. The brighter clusters and nebulas will look pretty good. It has the advantage of having a built in special lens which shows the image the 'right way' up. That means it can also be used during the day to look at distant objects which increases its usefulness. That does give it a slightly dimmer image at night, but the generous eyepieces it comes with will compensate for that. Don't be tempted to get a barlow lens with this telescope because it will make the image too dim in most circumstances. At some point you could add a 7mm eyepiece to give maximum magnification.

There are other makes of refractor which offer similar features.

As an alternative You could go for a basic 4" reflector, like the Skywatcher Heritage-100P. They are designed for lower magnifications and wider brighter images of clusters and nebulas. The moon would look good, but the planets would require a barlow lens to get some extra magnification. They can't really be used during the day.

I got my first telescope when I was 11, and 45 years on it is still the best Christmas present I have ever had. It wasn't as good as one of these but I used it for years afterwards.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Postby Abg0201 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:10 pm

Wow thanks Aratus for that really comprehensive reply. I had come across the 100P via this magazine so it was on my horizon, and you have confirmed that for me.
I think ill buy this one and go from here. Thanks again for your advise, really appreciate it.
Andy.
Abg0201

Postby Aratus » Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:35 pm

My pleasure! They are both good telescopes. From a practical point of view you will need to work out where you can place the Skywatcher at a suitable height, and where it will be steady. Perhaps you can secretly test it with an old table in the garden to make sure it is at a suitable height, and it doesn't wobble. Then on Christmas Day you will be all ready. Let's hope for a clear night! If you have any problems with it, post them up here. There are plenty of knowledgeable people ready to help.
I use an 11" Celestron SCT (CPC 1100) on an equatorial wedge, housed in a 2.2m Pulsar observatory. I use a ZWO ASI1600MC and Canon 500D for imaging.
Aratus

Return to Equipment Advice