Switch to mobile style

Collimators... including barlowed laser

A place to talk about Sky at Night Magazine's comprehensive reviews section

Collimators... including barlowed laser

Postby robgreaves » Fri Apr 13, 2007 3:50 pm

I read the review with interest.

I'd like to add my £0.02 worth... In all the years of fiddling with collimation, the barlowed laser is by far the best/easiest/most foolproof method I have so far used. I own the Kendrick 2" Barlowed laser, which cost [i]far[/i] less brand new than the 1.25" version quoted in the review did, so I think it was a little unfair marking it down heavily on the quoted price from the supplier mentioned in the review.

I got mine for about £95 at current exchange rates. Buying from the USA is just as easy as buying from the UK when armed with the internet.

Cheshires take skill to use well, and need a good eye to interpret what you're actually seeing. The Barlowed laser is foolproof.

Regards, Rob
[url=http://www.astrophotography.co.uk]www.astrophotography.co.uk[/url]
robgreaves

RE: Collimators... including barlowed laser

Postby cookie » Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:53 am

Rob, that's interesting info. I'll look for one of those when I'm in NY about 4 wks time. Thanks.
cookie

Postby light bucket » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:10 am

My 2p worth, I have a cheap and chearful Celestron C150HD and I have been trying to find a good method of collimation for some time. I purchased a laser collimator and did all the setting up (as you do) but found that if I turn the collimator in the eyepiece tube the laser spot position moved, so I am unsure of the accuracy. I never really obtained a successful result.

I have found an alternative method that for me has produced rather better results, but I would be interested in other peoples views.

I simply find a good bright star and position it at the centre of the FOV, then with the scope tracking the star I de-focus to produce the "white disk with a cross" effect. Then simply compare each segment of the disk and adjust until they are as equal as you can make them, increase the mag for greater accuracy. I believe this method actually works and needs no extra equipment.
light bucket

Postby mikeb » Wed May 09, 2007 7:53 pm

I have just bought a JSP autocollimator from the States; you use it insted of an eyepiece to line up the optics. When the collimation is correct the reflected image goes dark due to a small perforated mirror in the eyepiece; havn't tried it yet; you can see it on scopestuff.com. 1.25 and 2 inch available

Does anyone have experience of using one

Mike
mikeb

Return to First Light and Group Test