Colonisation-No Thanks

Post your latest observations, sketches or astro images here

Colonisation-No Thanks

Postby les » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:13 am

Carl Sagan once said to a reporter 'Man shouldent go to the planets becuase we'll bu**er them up'.While Im not arguing against unmanned probes exploring the solar system I'm of the opinion we should not try to terraform and colonise the Moon and planets.Not only would it be very expensive in both money and lives(because things will go wrong)I think they should be kept as wilderness areas and not defiled to satisfy the ego of some superstate(s).Money saved on such follies should be spent on ridding the world of disease and poverty,and protecting the bioshere we've got.Feel free to comment.PS Sorry this thread is inthe wrong section.
Regards Les.
les

RE: Colonisation-No Thanks

Postby weasel » Fri Mar 03, 2006 8:56 pm

[color=#ffffff]I agree with you. When I loook at the moon I like to think that it is a place that humans have not changed very much at all because there are very few places on earth like that.[/color]
weasel

Postby thefabulousneutrino » Tue Mar 07, 2006 11:36 am

I disagree strongly.

We must start exploring space. We must stop raping our home world and cease fighting amongst ourselves over its resources. If we can do that then the human spieces might just stand a halfway reasonable chance of surviving the next thirty years.

And given the vastness of space, to stay routed to earth seems, well, a waste.
thefabulousneutrino

Postby jsc248 » Tue Mar 07, 2006 2:06 pm

I agree wholeheartedly with TheFabulousNeutrino,
We simply have to start to explore the Solar System. One reason is because we have not only destroyed the most beautiful planet in the system by means of development, that we must begin to explore the possibilties of finding resourses elsewhere. Another reason reason is that mankind by his very nature is nomadic and eventually [i]we will[/i] begin to explore the reaches of space.
Let's learn from our mistakes on this planet and begin to explore and set up new homes "off world".
John jsc248.
To me astronomy is looking up and thinking "What the heck is going on up there!!"
jsc248

Postby les » Fri Mar 10, 2006 1:33 am

HI John,
You make a valid point about finding resourses elsewhere and take some of the pressure off the Earth.It seems a pity we have to ruin other worlds to save our own.Gandhi once said their are ample world resourses for everyones needs but not everyones greed.While I'm not so neieve as to supposes that holds true today(increased population and peoples expectations)has put payed to that,I feel that the vast amounts that would have to be spent on getting people to Mars for example could be invested in projects to benifit this World.
les

Postby northerncross » Fri Mar 10, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Les,

Quote from your post:-
'the vast amounts that would have to be spent on getting people to Mars for example could be invested in projects to benifit this World'

What a crying shame that mankind as a whole, world leaders, and the powers that be don't all share your sentiments.

Well said!

Ali
northerncross

Postby cookie » Sun Mar 12, 2006 1:00 pm

The mind boggles... I often say, why is it that we, the human kind, spend so many years sorting out ourselves into different groups, but still don't know how fortunate we are to be here in this world. If only political bodies the same as religious organisations new that slowly they are destroying the planet.

Now I am divided with your points of view. On one hand I would be against colonisation if this were to be set up on the same grounds as they are in Earth, as the next new world will be slowly destroyed as this one will be.

On the other hand, it would be extraordinary if the master minds of this world were able to start new life somewhere else in the universe.

In the very early days, my ancestors used to worship the sun, respect the moon and other celestial bodies, I hope I'm not wrong to say that our planet was in better hands on those days than it is today.

I hope you understand what I mean. Over to you. (you see what you've done? you've waken my little mind up!)

Margot[8|]
cookie

Postby asterixhb » Sun Mar 12, 2006 2:40 pm

I think it is inevitable that we will colonise our nearest planets, maybe eventually ones belonging to different systems. However, whenever we go, whether it be within 50 or 500 years, we must get it right. But mankind being as it is, I also feel that even with the best and purest of intentions, we will still mess it up. There will always be jealousy, egos, power etc to contend with, not to mention religion, of all kinds. [image]http://forum.skyatnightmagazine.com/micons/m14.gif[/image]
asterixhb

Postby 4star » Sun Mar 12, 2006 11:50 pm

I think we are going to have to plant lot's of tree's, build an immense amount of them Sterling mirrors, wind turbines and wave generators and solve alot of religious/land issues between ourselves first, if we are to have any hope of having enough time and money to do it. And then when we do, lets face it, it won't be Greenpeace that go! We will destroy this planet and if we are lucky we will get the chance to destroy a few more! All because of the greedy few. But wait, there is more of us than there is of them. Then again they have all the money so thats it, There is no long term hope for us. I think we all know that if the truth be told!
4star

Postby madmartian » Wed Mar 15, 2006 5:06 pm

[quote]ORIGINAL: 4STAR

when we do, lets face it, it won't be Greenpeace[/quote]

Exactly! It's only likely to be the rich, environmentally insensitive industrial tycoons who can afford it.
madmartian

Next

Return to Your astro observations, images & sketches