Comet Ikeya-Murakami

Get a heads up on the best celestial events to observe

Comet Ikeya-Murakami

Postby pulsar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:56 am

Whilst reading todays London Metro free newspaper I came across this awesome picture of comet Ikeya-Murakami over the los Angeles skyline. It really is a great picture you can clearly see that part of the comet's nucleus has broken off you can see that it was quite a long exposure and can clearly discern where the fragment is.

Now after watching this months sky at night on comet Hartley 2 and hearing patrick say we needed something spectacular in the sky "comet wise" is quite amazing it's like the great man ordered it himself I dont know if the image is available on the newspapers website but check it out at metro.co.uk or dailymail.co.uk or google it.

Also I would like to know where this comet is located in the sky and if we will be able to view it from britain?.
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

RE: Comet Ikeya-Murakami

Postby brianb » Fri Nov 12, 2010 2:36 am

[quote]where this comet is located in the sky and if we will be able to view it from britain?.
[/quote]
ATM it's not far from Saturn in the morning sky. It's about 4 magnitudes fainter than Hartley (1/40th as bright) and is presumed to be fading from an outburst caused by the fracture. It's past perihelion & will fade further in the future. Definitely NOT a "great comet"!

brianb

RE: Comet Ikeya-Murakami

Postby pulsar » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:10 am

Thanks brian for the info I will try for it in the lx if I get a chance. But the picture is quite striking don't you think especiallly when you consider the LP problem over LA. I just checked the daily mail newspaper website and they have a few really good pics there. Also just to report I have managed to catch 3 taurids nice bright ones just about 20 mins ago during a break in these otherwise incessant clouds. So not too bad considering.

But I do hope I get to observe Hartley 2 pass between M46 & M47. Please Patrick do something about these confounded clouds (laughs)..
Second Star To The Right And Straight On Till Morning...
(Captain James T Kirk U.S.S Enterprise...)
pulsar

Return to Astro Alerts